Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a navigation head unit with an aftermarket unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Replacing a navigation head unit with an aftermarket unit

I am curious to know if anyone has changed out their stock Navigation head units and replaced with another? Can it be done? I am pretty happy with the stock Nav, but I have always been kind of gadgety and like to keep up with the times!

I am looking through my latest issue of Crutchfield and looking at some of the newest Nav units and they are pretty sweet! The Kenwood in the book is installed in a F150 dash! Now considering that the stock Nav in the F150 basically controls your whole truck, I don't see how an aftermarket unit can work, but just thought I would ask because people figure out all kinds of stuff.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome! All it takes is a search. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/afterm...discuss-50098/
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

people without stock nav units have installed aftermarket nav head units, but if you have the stock one already I dont know why you would want to replace it with aftermarket, the stock one is way better than any aftermarket one out there yet, lol!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SultanGris
people without stock nav units have installed aftermarket nav head units, but if you have the stock one already I dont know why you would want to replace it with aftermarket, the stock one is way better than any aftermarket one out there yet, lol!
Not changing out anything now, just curious if it can be done and curious to see if anyone has been successful doing it!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by White Platinum
Not changing out anything now, just curious if it can be done and curious to see if anyone has been successful doing it!
It can be done, though you will lose some functionality, maybe down the road they will have better aftermarket options with the ability to retain all factory functionality.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On some newer aftermarket Hu you get stuff that the factory cannot compete with, mostly quality of sound. I have the Factory Sony Nav in my truck and really like the Clarion I installed in wifes 06 mustang. Gadget for gadget the Clarion provides a much higher quality of sound, meets all my Nav requirements and without the extra 200+ dollars I can use it to Navigate while driving (wife can anyways, while I drive). It will play my IPOD video as well as all types of music I like, WMA, MP3, MP4,WAV etc.... Picture quality is far superior than the factory unit also... Clarion unit is easier to follow for me being the tech type person. I also like Pioneer and am a dealer for them too but really like the price point and quality in the Clarion unit... Plays all DVD's and is software upgradeable much easier than Sync. If I had to choose I like the temperature controls etc, on the factory but I have the controls for that right there so it is not really a big loss..... My opinion....
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 PM

you also lose some of your steering wheel controls, and you could upgrade the sound quality for the stock system if you really wanted to. Though it would end up being more costly. I find my stock nav system sound quality to be more than adequate and I used to always have aftermarket sytems with amps and subs galore. Granted its nowhere near as loud as my previous systems, but I am older now and window shattering sound is not longer a top priority of mine. Its plenty loud enough for anyone who isnt looking for attention and trying to be annoying to other drivers, lol! I do wish it was easier to use while moving than spending another 250$ but Id rather have the extra features and integration from factory than aftermarket any day.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

not picking on the aftermarket - and this is a legit question - if you have the factory unit, it also displays your climate info, not just controls it. For example - while you don't have to use the on screen controls to control the ac (you can use the physical buttons), you have no way of knowing what tempurate you are actually setting at without the factory system... am i wrong? I don't have any other display unit to tell me that info. seems like a near deal breaker loss of functionality.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure why anyone would want to switch out their OEM Nav? Its grrrrrrrrrrrreat! But yeah, doesn't hurt to ask
Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jmy.yates
not picking on the aftermarket - and this is a legit question - if you have the factory unit, it also displays your climate info, not just controls it. For example - while you don't have to use the on screen controls to control the ac (you can use the physical buttons), you have no way of knowing what tempurate you are actually setting at without the factory system... am i wrong? I don't have any other display unit to tell me that info. seems like a near deal breaker loss of functionality.
A good and valid question, im sure no one has downgraded to aftermarket from the stock nav system though, lol!

Quick Reply: Replacing a navigation head unit with an aftermarket unit