Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Struct to Install Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Struct to Install Leveling Kit

Howdy ya'll. I picked up a 2013 F-150 (4WD, XLT) and after two weeks started modding, I didn't learn from my last vehicle :P I'm working on installing a lift kit but can't seem to get the strut out to place the new hat/spacer on.

I've
  • Disconnected the tie rod.
  • Disconnected the swaybar
  • Disconnected the upper ball joint
  • Disconnected the strut lower and upper
When watching videos they seem to just pull out the struct but mine still seems wedged in there. I played around with a struct compressor on it, but it didn't seem like it was going to do much. Attached is a photo of the mess as it is now (I can add more if other needed). Any advice on how to get this out? Thought it would take a few hours, now it's taken a few days, trying to prevent weeks from coming 'cuz I need to go get some lumber.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Long strong steel prybar, wedge it in, push down on the LCA and it will pop right out.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can try a pry bar on top of the strut pushing it down and use a foot on the rotor or wheel studs to push the LCA down at the same time. Looks from the picture you don't need much more room. Obviously there is going to be even less space when you put them back in with a spacer on top. So make sure you have a method that can create as much space as possible.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did this exact thing a month ago. Take the caliper off as well as the nut holding the axle into the hub and with a little bit of prying on the a arm it should all drop. The axle will slide out as well but not a biggy, easy to get back in.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts

When I upgraded my Struts, I used a spring compressor & pried down the lower control arm w/a pry-bar.
It was easy to get out, but more challenging to get back in. I am also lucky, as mine is 2wd, so no axle shaft to mess with.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VodkaJake
Just did this exact thing a month ago. Take the caliper off as well as the nut holding the axle into the hub and with a little bit of prying on the a arm it should all drop. The axle will slide out as well but not a biggy, easy to get back in.
This seems to be what everyone says to avoid when installing a level as you can mess up the 4wd if not put back together correctly, which seems like happens somewhat often, even at experienced shops. Any input on this or things to pay attention to if you go this route? I will be installing mine soon and wanted to avoid messing with the IWE and CV if at all possible.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the strut out twice and never removed the axle. Just make sure everything is disconnected and use some leverage. I read too many issues with the iwe failing aver removing for a level .
The following users liked this post:
Empty (03-15-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

You have to get it back in the upper bracket with the studs through their holes and pull the bottom out first. Make sure you have unbolted all the brake line and ABS wire supports. Unplug the IWE hoses from the actuator and remove the axle nut so the axle can slide back. Clean around the lower CV where it goes into the actuator first, to keep the seal clean. When going back together, rock the hub/rotor as you push outward on the axle to make sure its all the way through the hub. When you get everything properly loosened up/disconnected, the strut will basically fall out. No prying required. Also when re-installing the axle nut, put it on with a socket by HAND. Moderatly snug is all it needs to be. I've seen several people get a little too aggressive with that nut and snap the little stub off the end of the axle. Personally I do not remove the calipers. Not necessary if you disconnect all the hose brackets.

Last edited by PerryB; 03-10-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 AM
2013 FX4 SuperCrew

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Much easier IMO to remove both the brake caliper and IWE to get them out of the way and allows the lower control arm to drop down completely giving you as much room as needed without screwing with the front end alignment. Prying and compressing springs is dangerous and is yet another tool you would need to do the work that is otherwise easy if the IWE are removed. Its not hard to put the IWE back together either, just make alignment marks before taking them apart and test that they work before driving.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Empty
Howdy ya'll. I picked up a 2013 F-150 (4WD, XLT) and after two weeks started modding, I didn't learn from my last vehicle :P I'm working on installing a lift kit but can't seem to get the strut out to place the new hat/spacer on.

I've
  • Disconnected the tie rod.
  • Disconnected the swaybar
  • Disconnected the upper ball joint
  • Disconnected the strut lower and upper
When watching videos they seem to just pull out the struct but mine still seems wedged in there. I played around with a struct compressor on it, but it didn't seem like it was going to do much. Attached is a photo of the mess as it is now (I can add more if other needed). Any advice on how to get this out? Thought it would take a few hours, now it's taken a few days, trying to prevent weeks from coming 'cuz I need to go get some lumber.

Did you disconnect the axle? If you do, you should have the clearance you need and then some

Quick Reply: Removing Struct to Install Leveling Kit