Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Stock Center Caps

Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Stock Center Caps

Has anyone else had an issue when removing the center caps on the 18" STX or FX4 wheels? I tried doing this a few months ago and I damaged the center cap, the wheel, and the back end of the lug wrench which is meant for the job wore straight through down to the metal. I did eventually get them off but it took quite a bit of effort. I feel like it shouldn't have been that hard or maybe I just was not aggressive enough when taking them off?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine are very hard to get off also but I use a large 90' pick rapped in the finger of a leather glove so no damage
Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be a dumb question but are you using the half inch or so wide area that gives you room to stick something in to pry it off... instead of trying to wedge something between the cap and wheel to pry it off...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueflame
Mine are very hard to get off also but I use a large 90' pick rapped in the finger of a leather glove so no damage
Not a bad idea, I may have to get something like that for next time.

Originally Posted by ftrucktough
Might be a dumb question but are you using the half inch or so wide area that gives you room to stick something in to pry it off... instead of trying to wedge something between the cap and wheel to pry it off...
Yep, I used that little slot but the center caps went like 2-3" deep into the wheel so they didn't want to budge, they were deceiving...have you taken yours off before with no issue?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dougfreitag7

Yep, I used that little slot but the center caps went like 2-3" deep into the wheel so they didn't want to budge, they were deceiving...have you taken yours off before with no issue?
I've taken them off without any trouble, but they do take some force, I just use a regular screwdriver and insert in slot, and twist. Beats having them fly off when taking a fast corner!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes i had to the same problem, its rediculous, i gave up on the stupid bar that comes with it.

They come off much easier if you get a screwdriver and stick it way in, then pry it off you have to give it a lot of force.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Stock Center Caps