Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove tree sap-HELP!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Remove tree sap-HELP!

I now have a little commuter car to keep the miles off my truck since I put 30,000+ on it in the first year. So, now I parked it off to the side in my apartment complex where the area is shaded by trees. Great, out of the Texas sun. Bad-after a week the roof and one side is covered in sap/fallout from a pine tree (I think it is pine-have to look closer) I went to the car wash and srubbed and scrubbed and notta-none of it came off. Google'd it and some say Mineral Spirits, denatured alcohol even hand sanitizer (alcohol?) or bug & tar remover at your favorite autoparts store.

So, what have you used, what is the best, least damaging to paint-or take it to a professional detailer? Any help is great.

After it is cleaned up, now I am considering buying a cover for it, normallly I really wouldn't care about a cover but I don't want this stuff to destroy my paint until I get out of this apartment complex. Stay tuned for a new post on that...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

buy a clay bar kit, or mineral spirits will work. However, make sure you put wax on it afterwards or it won't come off the next time.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbok
I now have a little commuter car to keep the miles off my truck since I put 30,000+ on it in the first year. So, now I parked it off to the side in my apartment complex where the area is shaded by trees. Great, out of the Texas sun. Bad-after a week the roof and one side is covered in sap/fallout from a pine tree (I think it is pine-have to look closer) I went to the car wash and srubbed and scrubbed and notta-none of it came off. Google'd it and some say Mineral Spirits, denatured alcohol even hand sanitizer (alcohol?) or bug & tar remover at your favorite autoparts store.

So, what have you used, what is the best, least damaging to paint-or take it to a professional detailer? Any help is great.

After it is cleaned up, now I am considering buying a cover for it, normallly I really wouldn't care about a cover but I don't want this stuff to destroy my paint until I get out of this apartment complex. Stay tuned for a new post on that...
Just went around my truck this morning removing all the sap stains from my neighbours pine tree. (it overhangs our driveway) First I tried some wd-40, with no progress... then i came across some extra "f ukken wax" we had laying around. Just spray it on, let it sit for a minute, then scrub with a microfiber. Comes right off. Here's there website: http://www.f ukkenwax.ca just take out the space (this forum thinks im trying to spell the f word lol)

Last edited by KTM F150; 07-29-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used HEET for years but you need to be careful with this stuff. Use fresh paper towels or tissue and try to scrape the outer layer of pine pitch off with a credit card first to get the sand and dirt layer off before using the HEET. Put some on a tissue and wipe the pitch off.

A dealer told me that hand sanitizer also works well. Most have a high level of alcohol so it is probably like HEET which is isopropyl.

Wax the spot after pitch removal.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

You know wat really works? Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.....let it soak on each spot for about five minutes......wipe off what you can, then repeat until smooth....
Old 07-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal favorite is the mother's clay bar kit. I have used it before shows and have won several best of paint awards, after using that along with quik detailer and spray wax. Or use an old timers trick and use dawn dish washing liquid soap and use a sponge and that will also take the sap right off plus its alot cheaper.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I remove tree sap all the time at work, before we sand cars for paint.

The best thing is....rubbing alcohol. Its all I've ever used. Will not ruin your paint or anything. Just pour a little on a paper towel. Hold the wet spot on the sap for about 10 seconds. Then gently rub in a circle. It will take it right off.

Only thing is...wax the spot afterwards. As alcohol takes wax off
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

The best I find is wd40. It pretty much dissolves the sap on contact.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Igf it's the first day or two, wet a cloth with real hot water, will melt/dissolve sap and. You can wipe off. Will not work if its dried on for weeks though, but is cheap.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only bad thing about alcohol is if you use it and use it over and over it will after time eat away clear coat. But use it on cars before you sand and paint them would be perfect because you will have no imperfections to deal with in the booth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove tree sap-HELP!