Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote start problem

I have a 2011 with the factory remote start on the key. Sometimes when instart the truck, it doesnt start it just beeps twice. Anybody else ever experience this? I just tried to start the truck a few times an found out that i i start an stop it twice itll beep an not start the third time. Sometimes itll donit first time though. Truck goes in wednesday for the steering wheel pop over bumps so im just wondering if its something to tell them or not
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 AM
FSM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The factory remote start will not start more then two times in a row without the vehicle started by the actual key. So that part is normal. When it doesn't start and honks twice that usually means the hood is open or there could be something wrong with the hood switch.
The following users liked this post:
jwill8957 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay tha ks! Its def not the hood bein open ill check the switch. Where is it?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM
FSM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Right off the driver side fender. It has a rubber cover on it and has two wires. I would just make sure it is moving freely. I haven't seen one go bad yet but anything is possible.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

mine does that from time to time just beep beep and wont start
Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does this all the time and pisses me off. Both times i took it to the dealer it works fine, maybe I need to check the hood sensor if it is working after an oil change and then not a week later
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does that depending on how cold it is and if i have plugged in the block heater. Gets up to -40C where i live.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM

My truck does this every now and then too. Completely intermittent though so I haven't made any attempts to have a dealer look at it. Very annoying though.

12 FX4 btw.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Default Intermittent remote start issue solved

Info re/ remote start problems from the service manager at the dealership:

I wanted to give you an update on what we have found with your truck thus far. We have determined that the remote start problem is actually not a problem at all. We researched the operating parameters of the remote start function, and found that the way the system is programmed only allows two starting events per hour. We tested this and concluded that the remote will start flawlessly for 2 consecutive starts, and then fail to start on the third. We timed the wait for exactly one hour, and were allowed only two starts. At that point, the third start failed. We tested this for several hours with the exact same results. Surprisingly, there is no mention of this in the owner’s manual or any other published consumer information. We found these parameters in the repair manuals.

Today, we will begin to troubleshoot the steering knock. I will let you know what we find.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The remote start system will not work if:
• The ignition is in the on position.
• The alarm system is triggered.
• The feature has been disabled.
• The hood is not closed.
• Two remote vehicle starts have already been attempted within the last
hour.
• The vehicle is not in P (Park).

This is located on page 159 in the US truck owner's manual ( page 158 Canadian )

The remote starter owner's manual page 8 -- at least the one for the extended range unit -- under the section:

Why Your Vehicle May Not Start Via Remote

• the vehicle has already been started via the remote 2 times
For safety purposes, the vehicle can only be started via the remote 2 times and then must be reset by turning the vehicle ignition to the ON position or by waiting 1 hour

Albeit the truck's manual isn't as detailed but the information is available to the consumer --- just saying.

Quick Reply: Remote start problem