Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Keyless Entry Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Remote Keyless Entry Quit Working

I'll preface by saying I've done quite a bit of search and Googling on this... most others had their problem fixed by reprogramming their remote after swapping the battery.

A few months ago, I noticed that my keyless entry remote started to seem like it was dying. I.e. sometimes I'd have to press the button 3-4 times to get it to unlock, or I'd have a "long press" to get it to work. I chalked it up to a bad battery.
Tested the spare key (which was the primary key used by the previous owner, as you can see wear and tear on it) and it had the same issue. I figured maybe this battery was low, too, and that's why the dealership gave me that one as the primary. No big deal, I ordered a pack of 4 batteries.
Note: I have the 200-series remote start (long range, separate fob, big antenna mounted in the windshield) and it works fine. I did notice that this was being less responsive, though, in that it would start the truck fine, but it wouldn't always give me feedback (it beeps to let you know it successfully started). Since I've had both remotes about the same amount of time, I thought maybe both batteries were dying...

Fast forward to replacing the battery in the keyless remote (it has since completely stopped working and requires I use the physical key to unlock the door). The remote start still works. I swap the battery in the keyless entry, follow the reprogramming steps -- cycle on/off 8 times, doors lock/unlock, i press the button.... nothing happens.
I tried my the programming with my spare remote as well, no dice.
I tried the reprogramming with the driver door open and shut (saw mixed reviews on this online, so I tried both)... no dice.

So my guess it it's something with my receiver? Is it possible for the receiver to *slowly* die? I figured it would either work or not... but the symptoms seemed like a battery dying, not a fuse blowing or something.

What can I check to continue troubleshooting?

TIA
Ben
Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Pete

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe the wires in the cable going to the door ??? I hear they break gradually sometimes.
Just a guess but think it's easy to check.
Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
Benwood (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Blondie70
Maybe the wires in the cable going to the door ??? I hear they break gradually sometimes.
Just a guess but think it's easy to check.
Good Luck.
Thanks, I think they're good given the lock/unlock switch on the door works fine (and when I turn off the truck and open the doors, they all unlock due to that setting being enabled).
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have the issue everywhere the truck is parked, or just in certain locations? do you live/work near a military base? what year is your truck?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
Do you have the issue everywhere the truck is parked, or just in certain locations? do you live/work near a military base? what year is your truck?
1. Happens anywhere -- driveway, work, Walmart...
2. No, closest military base is about 100 miles from here
3. 2011 3.7L SCrew
Old 09-23-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Check with a locksmith to see if they have a way to test the output on the remote (I know they can usually test the PATS chip output). Although, I would be very surprised if both stop working at the same time.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Benwood
1. Happens anywhere -- driveway, work, Walmart...
2. No, closest military base is about 100 miles from here
3. 2011 3.7L SCrew
ok, so you have integrated key head transmitters and it does not appear that radio interference is the issue.

You stated that remote start still works, is that integrated in to the key or a separate fob? And is the TPMS light on, on your dashboard?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Open your FOB...The batteries and FOB seem to "lose contact" as they age. I placed a semi thick piece of a business card behind battery/plastic to tighten it up and put back together...worked.
The following users liked this post:
XMP64 (05-10-2019)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
ok, so you have integrated key head transmitters and it does not appear that radio interference is the issue.

You stated that remote start still works, is that integrated in to the key or a separate fob? And is the TPMS light on, on your dashboard?
The remote start is a separate remote and separate receiver.
Edit: No TPMS light on (actually no fault lights on the dash are illuminated).

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
Open your FOB...The batteries and FOB seem to "lose contact" as they age. I placed a semi thick piece of a business card behind battery/plastic to tighten it up and put back together...worked.
I'll try the business card thing

Last edited by Benwood; 09-24-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Replace the truck battery.

Quick Reply: Remote Keyless Entry Quit Working