Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recurring Airbag Light Issue - Ford Sevice Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Recurring Airbag Light Issue - Ford Sevice Please Read

Hello, I have a 2012 F150 XLT Ecoboost and been having issues with my airbag light, basically since new (although not nearly as often as now). The light intermittently comes on solid and stays on for a few ignition cycles. It seems like it may be tied somehow to the passenger seat movement or track (also saw this a possible cause/solution when searching this forum). I have the Premium ESP, and have had the truck in the shop a total of three times for this issue (just dropped it off for the third time this morning, originally scheduled for brake service).
On the first trip, the airbag light was ON, dealership told me they did a recalibration, cleared the light and it was fixed. They charged me the typical $100 deductable. The light came back on 2 days later.
On the second trip (some time did pass between visits as it is difficult to get to dealer that is some distance from me etc...) the light was ON and cleared the night before taking it in at the scheduled time. The dealership could not reproduce while it was there, but charged me another $100 "diagnostic fee" for supposedly checking the connectors. They also told me to "stop by if/when the light comes back ON".
This morning I bring the truck in again for other scheduled service and the light happens to be ON, so I bring this up so that they can check for codes again before turning OFF the ignition and possibly losing any information. They proceed to tell me that there will be yet another $100 diagnostic fee/deductable if they touch it. I told them that I am not paying a third time and eventually the advisor tole me that they will read the code and let me know from there.

I would really appreciate it if anyone else that has had this problem could tell me what the ultimate fix for your issues was.

I would also appreciate it if Ford Service could get involved and let me know if it is supposed to be standard practice to keep charging deductable/fees for issues that are never fixed properly on the first attempt?

I happen to be an automotive electronics engineer, so I know very well that intermittent faults can be challenging (and also how minimal the amount of work reading codes/recalibrating a module/checking connectors is), but it seems like this problem is not isolated, and yet the dealership seemingly has no information regarding fixes for things like the seat track or intermittent ground issues that many people have found to be successful.
I would really appreciate and Ford Service intervention that could get the dealership a complete list of solutions versus just the standard service manual answers.
Thank you.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had this issue several times, 4 to be exact. Each time the dealership replaced one of the seatbelts(twice each driver and passenger).

I have a Supercab and apperently rain water will get past the window felt and get in the seat belt connector. The airbag light comes on because the computer can't talk with the seat belt in case of an accident, to be able to activate the restraint system. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabman10
Hello, I have a 2012 F150 XLT Ecoboost and been having issues with my airbag light, basically since new (although not nearly as often as now). The light intermittently comes on solid and stays on for a few ignition cycles. It seems like it may be tied somehow to the passenger seat movement or track (also saw this a possible cause/solution when searching this forum). I have the Premium ESP, and have had the truck in the shop a total of three times for this issue (just dropped it off for the third time this morning, originally scheduled for brake service).
On the first trip, the airbag light was ON, dealership told me they did a recalibration, cleared the light and it was fixed. They charged me the typical $100 deductable. The light came back on 2 days later.
On the second trip (some time did pass between visits as it is difficult to get to dealer that is some distance from me etc...) the light was ON and cleared the night before taking it in at the scheduled time. The dealership could not reproduce while it was there, but charged me another $100 "diagnostic fee" for supposedly checking the connectors. They also told me to "stop by if/when the light comes back ON".
This morning I bring the truck in again for other scheduled service and the light happens to be ON, so I bring this up so that they can check for codes again before turning OFF the ignition and possibly losing any information. They proceed to tell me that there will be yet another $100 diagnostic fee/deductable if they touch it. I told them that I am not paying a third time and eventually the advisor tole me that they will read the code and let me know from there.

I would really appreciate it if anyone else that has had this problem could tell me what the ultimate fix for your issues was.

I would also appreciate it if Ford Service could get involved and let me know if it is supposed to be standard practice to keep charging deductable/fees for issues that are never fixed properly on the first attempt?

I happen to be an automotive electronics engineer, so I know very well that intermittent faults can be challenging (and also how minimal the amount of work reading codes/recalibrating a module/checking connectors is), but it seems like this problem is not isolated, and yet the dealership seemingly has no information regarding fixes for things like the seat track or intermittent ground issues that many people have found to be successful.
I would really appreciate and Ford Service intervention that could get the dealership a complete list of solutions versus just the standard service manual answers.
Thank you.
Originally Posted by EcoboostedFX4
I've had this issue several times, 4 to be exact. Each time the dealership replaced one of the seatbelts(twice each driver and passenger).

I have a Supercab and apperently rain water will get past the window felt and get in the seat belt connector. The airbag light comes on because the computer can't talk with the seat belt in case of an accident, to be able to activate the restraint system. Hope this helps.
Hi Tabman10 and EcoboostedFX4,

What's the mileage on your trucks? I'll explore some avenues for assistance on this end.

Chad
Old 09-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought my 2012 XLT Supercrew with 58k miles on it. Within a month of buying my truck my airbag light came on and has been on ever since. I have read here about moving the seat could cause this and it will sometimes clear on it's own, but it hasn't. I too would be interested to see if there is a fix, I haven't brought my truck in because of stories like this. Looking forward to finding a fix.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by default_user8
I bought my 2012 XLT Supercrew with 58k miles on it. Within a month of buying my truck my airbag light came on and has been on ever since. I have read here about moving the seat could cause this and it will sometimes clear on it's own, but it hasn't. I too would be interested to see if there is a fix, I haven't brought my truck in because of stories like this. Looking forward to finding a fix.
Hi default_user8,

I recommend taking your truck to the certified techs at your dealership for a look at that light. PM your full name, best contact number, VIN, and dealership information; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager to assist.

Chad
Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi default_user8,

I recommend taking your truck to the certified techs at your dealership for a look at that light. PM your full name, best contact number, VIN, and dealership information; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager to assist.

Chad

Now that's what I'm talking about. Kudos to Ford Service.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

My wife's Escapes, she's had 3 so far, all had this same issue and each one the fix was the exact same, a 2002, 2003, and 2014. For some unknown reason Ford don't know how to make an SRS connector that stays connected good during seat movement.

Luckily for us I'm factory trained and know how to work on the SRS system and have the proper tools, but in the end all it takes to fix it is to locate the bright yellow connector under the seat, disconnect it and reconnect it several times to make sure it's getting a good connection.

Takes about 2 mins. Problem here is knowing the code that's stored because that may not be your problem, could be any number of things so the best (safest) thing to do is find a dealer that has a tech that knows how to diag the system.

Just putting out there what has been a common issue with these systems. You could always unplug that yellow connector and inspect it for pushed out pins and corrosion and do the reconnect just to see, you won't hurt a thing by doing it. Might save a trip to the dealer.

If the system spooks you (as it does many) due to the pyrotechnics involved, disconnect the battery - cable first.

Last edited by RLXXI; 09-25-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 175 Likes on 112 Posts

I had this same issue in my truck. It was intermittent. Unplugging and reconnecting the airbag wires didn't do the trick. Ford replaced the restraint control module under warranty.

It sounds like you may need yours replaced too. Hope it's covered under warranty because they're not cheap.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone, thank you very much for all the responses.
To answer the question from Ford Service: my truck currently is at 67,000 miles. The issue started very shortly after I bought the truck (new) though, although it has occurred much more frequent lately.
The dealership did check and clean another connector (without charging me again after some conversation with the manager), and so far the light hasn't been back on....but we'll see how long it lasts for.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Snow Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm seeing this on my 2011 as well. comes and goes, will stay on the duration of the driving session, but never the next. No way water is an issue, very rare I drive in rain and the truck is garaged. I see the light maybe once a month.

Quick Reply: Recurring Airbag Light Issue - Ford Sevice Please Read