Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recommended 5.0 maintenance - high miles

Old 02-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default recommended 5.0 maintenance - high miles

i recently purchased a 2014 STX 5.0 4x4. It had a few more miles (100,000+) than I would prefer but it was one owner and it was highway miles. plus the truck was in excellent condition, unmolested (i.e. everything stock) and it was a good deal. runs and drives excellent

however - the maintenance records were spotty - the previous owner did do oil changes but not much else.

i did the oil, front and rear diff. and transmission fluid - its winter and my garage is full - so plugs, wires etc will wait until spring.

what other maintenance should i perform?? is there anything 5.0 specific that i need to do??

thank you in advance RR
Old 02-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

I bought mine at 95,600 and it has 125,250 now. Here's what I've done:

Rear diff
Trans. filter and fluid
T-case fluid
Spark Plugs
Coolant flush
New drive belts
Throttle body cleaning
Front and rear rotors and pads

Otherwise it's just basic upkeep...5W30 Motorcraft oil and filter with the oil life monitor reset to 80% each time.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WXman
I bought mine at 95,600 and it has 125,250 now. Here's what I've done:

Rear diff
Trans. filter and fluid
T-case fluid
Spark Plugs
Coolant flush
New drive belts
Throttle body cleaning
Front and rear rotors and pads

Otherwise it's just basic upkeep...5W30 Motorcraft oil and filter with the oil life monitor reset to 80% each time.
drive belts relatively new. the brakes and the coolant flush were done at the stealership before i purchase the vehicle.

will do the throttle body and spray the MAF in the spring.

i didn't know if i should run seafoam or some other snake oil through the engine?? i am skeptical of such additives and have never used it on other engines. the only reason i consider it is that i have never had an engine with this many miles without knowing maintenance history etc (my former ranger 4.0 had belonged to my father so i know what was done or not done to the truck)

rr
Old 02-03-2018, 12:33 PM
First in, Last out.

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger_rick
drive belts relatively new. the brakes and the coolant flush were done at the stealership before i purchase the vehicle.

will do the throttle body and spray the MAF in the spring.

i didn't know if i should run seafoam or some other snake oil through the engine?? i am skeptical of such additives and have never used it on other engines. the only reason i consider it is that i have never had an engine with this many miles without knowing maintenance history etc (my former ranger 4.0 had belonged to my father so i know what was done or not done to the truck)

rr
If it's running fine I wouldn't worry about putting any "snake oil" in the engine.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:57 AM

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Sounds like you got it all under control already. Maybe refresh your transfer case fluid and do those plugs when it warms up. Combined, they should take about an hour give or take.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:31 AM

Received 883 Likes on 672 Posts

Does it still have the OEM shocks? If so, replace them with Bilsteins.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

A bottle of sea foam into the fuel does work well,found that out after changing a bad fuel pump,also gained about 2 mpg after all was said and done
Old 02-04-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Plugs for sure. MOTORCRAFT ONLY & Regardless what the place you get them from they says check the gap and make sure its correct before installing.

Air Filter?

If you have access to a SCT programer, it can be anybodys, you can use it to reset the KAM. They will reset all the apdative learning the truck has done since the last time its been done if at all. Doing this will allow the truck to learn your driving style and adjust accordingly.

Dont be worried about the miles, 100K isnt that many miles now a days. I have friends with 120Kish on there 2013 F150s and they still run, drive and look like there new.

Wayne
Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Z7What
Plugs for sure. MOTORCRAFT ONLY & Regardless what the place you get them from they says check the gap and make sure its correct before installing.
Wayne
ALL the usual tune up stuff done - including air filter. The plugs and wires - that will wait until spring. And yes check those gaps!

I always used Motorcraft replacement parts (when they were available) for the old ranger.

I think at this point it comes down to "if ain't broke, don't fix it" lol
Old 02-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

A new fuel filter always make a vehicle happy!
The following users liked this post:
ranger_rick (02-05-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: recommended 5.0 maintenance - high miles