Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Defroster Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rear Window Defroster Issue

I have a 2011 SCREW with a powered window. Back in 2013 I had the window replaced due to the warranty recall Ford issued. Just a couple of days ago the new window's defroster stopped working which in and of itself wouldn't be all too bad but the heated mirrors are on the same switch so both are inoperative now. I called my local dealer and they said it couldn't be replaced again under the warranty recall. I also looked at the window to see if I could clean the points to see if that would work but the electrical connection points aren't accessible. Any ideas on a plan C?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:59 AM
IT nerd geek DORK NERD

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Is it under warranty? If so, it should be replaceable. If not, then yeah, I know of no active recall myself. (FYI - I've had it replaced 2x under warranty.)
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can jump the plug behind the back seat to complete the circuit and the defrost will work again for your mirrors. At least that's what i have read on a couple posts. I have the same issue but have not tried the fix yet.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tu3712
You can jump the plug behind the back seat to complete the circuit and the defrost will work again for your mirrors. At least that's what i have read on a couple posts. I have the same issue but have not tried the fix yet.
You wouldn't have a link to that option handy?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

There are two wires at the lower right corner of the window. If you jumper them together you'll get the mirrors back, but the rear window heat will be inoperative.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

Others in the exploding rear window threads have just disconnected the defrost on the window and the mirrors still work. I know, I’m one of them.
The following users liked this post:
Kung (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
Others in the exploding rear window threads have just disconnected the defrost on the window and the mirrors still work. I know, I’m one of them.
I did the same. Pulled the lower right off and wrapped electrical tape around it and called it good. Even the light on the button still works.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

That would be the lower left (ground). If the heating grid is good and the slide contacts work, you can do that and still have the indicator light work. That's what I did with mine. If, for whatever reason, there is no continuity across the window, the light will not illuminate. I don't know if the mirrors will heat in this case or not. If you jumper the two right side wires, the mirrors work and so does the indicator, regardless of the condition of the rear window.
The following users liked this post:
Blue2016XL (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
That would be the lower left (ground). If the heating grid is good and the slide contacts work, you can do that and still have the indicator light work. That's what I did with mine. If, for whatever reason, there is no continuity across the window, the light will not illuminate. I don't know if the mirrors will heat in this case or not. If you jumper the two right side wires, the mirrors work and so does the indicator, regardless of the condition of the rear window.
Your right, left side. I wrote it as I looked facing the back of the truck. Oops.

ill have to see if the mirrors get warm. Maybe I misread what you said in that post.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishjoe45
I have a 2011 SCREW with a powered window. Back in 2013 I had the window replaced due to the warranty recall Ford issued. Just a couple of days ago the new window's defroster stopped working which in and of itself wouldn't be all too bad but the heated mirrors are on the same switch so both are inoperative now. I called my local dealer and they said it couldn't be replaced again under the warranty recall. I also looked at the window to see if I could clean the points to see if that would work but the electrical connection points aren't accessible. Any ideas on a plan C?
7-8 years later and ford is still pumping out these piece of **** rear windows...so there is no fix!
Kinda getting sick of the same stories over and over...just once i'd like to read on here where Ford finally re-engineered something and the problem is solved!

Anyway...Plan C ? Keep owning and driving a defective vehicle.

Driving by a Ram dealer this weekend I did see the new Ram Trucks outside...that may be an option too.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Defroster Issue