Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view/backup camera anytime mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Rear view/backup camera anytime mod?

I already searched, so if this has already been done please post a link.

One of the easiest and most useful mods I had on my 2010 Tacoma was this rear view camera mod:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ew-camera.html

"But why would you ever need/use that?"

I found it very handy, maybe not necessary but still useful, when I had the crew cab full of stuff and my motorcycle in the bed. Which made the back windows useless. And there were a few occasions that I just wanted the view without being in reverse.

Since my FX4 is only three weeks old, have no confidence in my electrical skills, and I'm not brave enough, I won't be the one to experiment on my truck if this hasn't been done before.
The following users liked this post:
garamouni (03-29-2022)
Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have this ability as well. With the backflip panels folded up against the back window it would really be nice to have the extra view!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search "Sync lockpick"
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

The lock pick is for just the nav. If you have the mirror monitor the lock pick won't do anything for you.

I have all aftermarket so I already have mine wired for anytime use.

I also like to watch my utility trailer and load when going down the road.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Does anyone know where to get a wiring diagram? I'm thinking that if the camera on our trucks is wired the same, with a video signal from the camera always on, and the power to the screen in the mirror switched by the reverse lever...then it should be as easy as adding a switch for power to the screen, just like with the Tacoma...thoughts?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM

There is a current thread on wiring/manual, etc. Looks like you would need to apply power to pin 2/3 (with/WO MIC) solid blue on the back of the mirror. It’s on fuse 55.
Could probably tap in closer to transmission, but would fire up the reverse lights too. I might jumper a test feed with inline fuse tomorrow for giggles.
Very handy in tight spots where you pull ahead to line up for reverse.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lidy
There is a current thread on wiring/manual, etc. Looks like you would need to apply power to pin 2/3 (with/WO MIC) solid blue on the back of the mirror. It’s on fuse 55.
Could probably tap in closer to transmission, but would fire up the reverse lights too. I might jumper a test feed with inline fuse tomorrow for giggles.
Very handy in tight spots where you pull ahead to line up for reverse.

I just found a wiring diagram for an 09, I have a 2011. I wonder how different they are, the 11 don't have the compass in the mirror, not sure what else is different. But it doesn't look like there is an easy "tacoma method" way to do this to the f150. But when I look at a wiring diagram I might as well be trying to read Chinese. So, your confirmation would be greatly appreciated, or anyone's help for that matter.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Not sure on the 2011, but my 2010 has a 16 pin harness to the back of mirror. I know 2011 is apparently a larger LCD, but pins are probably the same.
I applied 12V+ to PIN #2, turnkey & video pops up. However this also lights up the reverse lights. But if we pop a diode at the end of factory wire before it hits Pin 2, this blocks feeding current to reverse when the new power feed/switch is used. Should use a diode on the “anytime” power feed too. Only concern is what happens when switch is on & we apply 2x feeds to the mirror?
This is where it gets Chinese cause I’m thinking you would need a relay or 2 in the mix. Hmmm.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Rear view camera is a must once you are used to having it. Much easier to get out of a tight jam up in the sticks with a rear camera. Would highly recommend the oem NAV+Camera if u can budget it.

Not sure how non-ford aftermarket backup cameras will play nice with the oem Nav but I had few issues using Pioneer AVIC NAV with their backup camera in other trucks. Just no guide markers but maybe the new ones do?

Last edited by Lord-of-Ford; 05-20-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM

I thought about this 1 too hard. You can do the same Tacoma mod using the switch. It’s Single Pole, Double Throw / SPDT. With an ON/ON.
Some call it a “changeover switch”. Just verify PIN 2 in mirror harness gets juice when shifted to R & should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Rear view/backup camera anytime mod?