Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Right Suspension Sagging

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Right Suspension Sagging

I've got a 2013 F150 with the 6.2L V8 and I've got a minor issue that I knew was there for a while, but want to actually fix it now. My rear right side (if you're in the truck) sags about an inch lower than my left side does. I recently got a 2" level done and it looks a bit...strange when you look at it from an angle where you can tell it sags a bit. The other side looks great, but the right side you can tell it sags a bit. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? My truck has 73k on it and I'm really not sure if the rear shocks have ever been changed, if that helps.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Pics would help, just say'n. You probably have but, tape measure from the ground to the top of the inner fender on each rear fender. What's the difference? Ford has a spec for this. Check for a leaky rear shock, check the rear leafs, loose or missing hardware. There's not much else. Did you notice it after the level was done? Check the opposite front corner to be sure the front level on that corner was done correctly...measure both front fenders the same as the rear.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Shocks will have nothing to do with it. They don't support the rear of the truck at all.

Check your leaf springs and shackles. You could have a broken spring in the pack.

Fyi you'll get a more accurate measurement if you measure from the center of the wheel to the fender. Measuring from the ground doesn't take into consideration tread depth, psi and uneven ground.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Shocks will have nothing to do with it. They don't support the rear of the truck at all.

Check your leaf springs and shackles. You could have a broken spring in the pack.

Fyi you'll get a more accurate measurement if you measure from the center of the wheel to the fender. Measuring from the ground doesn't take into consideration tread depth, psi and uneven ground.

Worn rear shocks will make a difference, believe me. If they are worn or leaking they will not have any compressive strength between connection points.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
Worn rear shocks will make a difference, believe me. If they are worn or leaking they will not have any compressive strength between connection points.
They won't make it sag an inch. Shocks do not support the truck. They only dampen the ride.

I've changed rear shocks on my truck a couple times. I've had various different shocks that were worn and were new. I've had one side on and one side off and even checked. There was no noticeable difference in height.

I don't disagree there could be a very slight difference if one has zero compression. But I just don't think it would drop you an inch on one side.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
They won't make it sag an inch. Shocks do not support the truck. They only dampen the ride.

I've changed rear shocks on my truck a couple times. I've had various different shocks that were worn and were new. I've had one side on and one side off and even checked. There was no noticeable difference in height.

I don't disagree there could be a very slight difference if one has zero compression. But I just don't think it would drop you an inch on one side.

Depends on different variables. Are we talking an inch at the rear wheel well or are we talking at the rear bumper? What is the length of the bed? How accurate is the measurement? It sounds like the OP is guesstimating that it is an inch. Also, it's odd that the lean is on the right side as a typical lean would be on the driver's side due to the location of the fuel tank.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
Depends on different variables. Are we talking an inch at the rear wheel well or are we talking at the rear bumper? What is the length of the bed? How accurate is the measurement? It sounds like the OP is guesstimating that it is an inch. Also, it's odd that the lean is on the right side as a typical lean would be on the driver's side due to the location of the fuel tank.
I was thinking the same thing about the lean. And when I think of an inch difference, I think of measuring from the center of the wheel to the wheel well arch. But you're right, if it's just a guess, it could end up only being something like 1/4". Who knows.

Without some real measurements, we don't know.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 PM

Here are some pictures, maybe a little less than an inch, more like half and inch:
Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhySoFishy

Here are some pictures, maybe a little less than an inch, more like half and inch:
How are you measuring?

From the photos, it looks like the drivers side is slightly lower than the passenger side. Not the other way around.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Measuring from the center of the wheel of the start of the OEM fender flare. I think the front sits about an eighth higher on both sides, but you can't even notice it on the driver side from the people I've asked (Which is kinda strange outright because the 6.2 is quite heavy). The passenger rear side is definitely the one sitting lower and the measurements show it. Not quite sure why though, I checked and all my leafs are still there haha. If worst comes to worst I'll probably just buy 3" blocks for both sides, it would at least make it the rear higher than the front on both sides.

Last edited by WhySoFishy; 03-15-2017 at 03:43 PM.