Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Defroster is out, dirty contacts

Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Rear Defroster is out, dirty contacts

My rear defroster is out and my dealer says that I need a whole new power-sliding window because the defroster's contacts are dirty.

Huh?

Oh, and this is not covered by the nifty premium Ford ESP warranty I purchased.

Huh?

I drive down dusty roads, dust happens. It also happened to make the power sliding window squeak and so I crack the window open a hitch just to get it to shut-up. Therefore, more dust.

Anyway, does anybody have the inside track on cleaning dirty rear defroster contacts?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

should me able to trouble shoot it with a volt ohmeter. check voltage to where it plugs at the rear window and start there to see which way to follow. i assume you have checked the obvious, a fuse. sounds to me like you have an open conductor probably where it goes to the wires in the window. i have seen one wire go bad and the others work, so if none work it is where they tie together. 3 different circuits with a slider, so i think they would work independent of each other. this is not a wear item, should be covered by your ESP.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Canada Ford ESP with Extra Care covers:
Heated backglass (electrical only – not glass damage or breakage)

http://www.fordesp.ca/extracare.html...Bheight%5D=550
Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jaza69
In Canada Ford ESP with Extra Care covers:
Heated backglass (electrical only – not glass damage or breakage)

http://www.fordesp.ca/extracare.html...Bheight%5D=550
I'm baffled as well since Ford's BaseCare, ExtraCare and PremiumCare all claim to cover "heated back glass (electrical only —not glass damage for breakage)."

My dealer claims that Ford part number 15422B30 is not covered by my warranty. The part is a sliding power window with heating element which Ford apparently calls a "sliding back assembly."

My dealer's service writer was not willing to call Ford to figure out the problem, but I did call Ford customer relations, where they told me that the part number is not covered. I asked them what part number is covered by my ESP warranty and Ford's customer service said they could not tell me.

What Ford CS did say is that they will contact my dealers service manager and he would need to get in touch with the regional rep.

I suggested to Ford's CS that they fix the database problem so that the next guy doesn't have the same problem.

I also contacted the person at the dealer who sells the warranties and finances and she basically told me they'd get on it and agreed with my interpretation of the warranty that the heating element should be covered by the ESP.

Anyway, waiting on other people to talk and guess Ford's mothership.

Last edited by EricTheOracle; 12-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I have problems with electrical contacts, I always clean them with CRC Contact Cleaner. Had a starter switch on a 4 wheeler stick in the start position. Sprayed the contacts with it and it works as good as new.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck Eric. I just had my 13 in today to have the dealer look at my rear defrost. Entire new rear sliding window needed. Looks like it is in back order for me though....common problem I guess??
Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Dirty contacts? Really? If it was dirty contacts I think it would be a simple fix not a new window. I , like many, have had to have my entire power sliding rear window replaced. This seems to be a poorly designed setup that is prone to failure. Mine was replaced under warranty just a few short months ago. I wish you well in getting the powers that be to cover this for you.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My rear defrost quit working on my 2010 Platinum so I took it in to the dealer yesterday and the service rep says that it is not covered under my ESP. He seemed new and said i should call back Monday and talk to the service manager. He even told me he has heard of the rear windows exploding and said it is caused by an electrical failure. Good to know that Ford is looking out for me (NOT!). I live in Ontario Canada and I like my rear defrost along with the mirrors, and I expect it to work, so I hope when I call back i can get somewhere with this.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dropped my truck off last Thursday at the dealer to get the windshield replaced and they had 2 other f150s getting new back sliding glasses. They told me about the contacts messing up. I hope they get this problem fixed.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't dare to even think about using my rear defroster due to the exploding rear window issue so no complaining from me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Defroster is out, dirty contacts