Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bumper opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Rear bumper opinions

My truck is a 2010 FX4 with painted bumpers (rear is a 3 piece bumper-essentially). 107000km on the truck.

Late last week I had stopped for a light and the young gal wasn't paying attention close enough to stop in time. She brushed up against the right side of the back bumper as she tried to dodge me. More of a ****-off than anything considering it buffed the paint and ever so slightly torqued the bumper enough to kiss the fleet side (which I can use my touch up paint on). I didn't even feel the truck move.

So here's my dilemma, if it goes through insurance (which would be her fault), they'd replace the right side and re-paint the whole side of the fleet. The left side would still be 4.5 years old with all it's beauty marks and rust on the inside which you can't see anyway. However, I could also push for an after-market bumper and install it myself. The fab fours bumper looks pretty sweet, wouldn't be too hard to slap on and cutting the reverse sensor holes in it wouldn't be that hard. I'm also eyeing up the FF premium front bumper with no grill guard because the stock front bumpers rust out so bad.

The truck has a 2" levelling kit and the next set of tires will probably be a bit taller. Not quite 35's but taller. A winch would be nice for hunting season.

Any advice for either option?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM
2009 F150 Platinum

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the other person reasonable? I would get an estimate from 2 or 3 places and see what it would cost to repair, then take that to the person and negotiate an amount that would work for both of you, if the person would like to not claim it on insurance.
I don't think I would want a repainted panel, and if you don't want a stock bumper it may be better to try and negotiate a cash deal.
You could touch up the scratch yourself and use the money to at least reduce the cost of an aftermarket bumper
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

She seemed reasonable. She's already indicated she'd prefer not to go through insurance. The quote I got from one of the placed that is both approved for "life-time work" by my insurance company and was recommended by co-workers for being one of the more reasonably priced shops was crazy expensive for what it looked like ($2200 less deductible). The quote I got for the bumper was around 1300$ plus tax. Canadian prices for after market stuff is typically exaggerated by the off road shops.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to cut her a break do so. If you want a new bumer then go through insurance i have seen too many prople my wife included let them pay for it and you get left holding the bag. Give the insurance one estimate from any body shop for the entire repair. Take a check and do what you want
Old 01-23-2014, 01:17 PM
5.0 C'yote

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try http://www.ironbullbumpers.com/ their rear bumpers come with the option of having the back-up sensors pre cut.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

here is a place that makes bumpers just down the road from you...

http://bulletproofbumpers.ca/

the insurance company wont give you the full value of the repair if paid in cash... I think its about 80%

Quick Reply: Rear bumper opinions