Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to install Bilstein 5100's - What precautions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to install Bilstein 5100's - What precautions?

Hey all,
First time poster. I'm the proud owner of a Blue Flame 2013 F150 XTR 4WD and I absolutely love it. Have had it about 18 months now and am just getting around to leveling it and putting on new tires. I ordered the Bilstein 5100 front adjustable shocks and the rear shocks as well. I also ordered a set of Falken AT3W tires 275/70/R18. This forum was a huge help in determining what direction I wanted to go for tires & leveling kit. Not mention that I've got a set of replacement chrome lugnuts on the way to swap out the crappy capped OEM versions. I've already been stranded once due to those things.

So I'm getting ready to have the Bilsteins installed and I wanted to ask what precautions I should pass along to the shop. It's a reputable shop and they have done numerous leveling kits on F150's, but just want to make sure to jog their memory.

So, I've read that they should disconnect the battery. Anything else they need to be aware of now to screw up the IWE?

Thanks in advance!

Next up...installing puddle lights, LED bedlights and fog lights!

Thanks!

Jonathan
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabulani Jonny
Hey all,
First time poster. I'm the proud owner of a Blue Flame 2013 F150 XTR 4WD and I absolutely love it. Have had it about 18 months now and am just getting around to leveling it and putting on new tires. I ordered the Bilstein 5100 front adjustable shocks and the rear shocks as well. I also ordered a set of Falken AT3W tires 275/70/R18. This forum was a huge help in determining what direction I wanted to go for tires & leveling kit. Not mention that I've got a set of replacement chrome lugnuts on the way to swap out the crappy capped OEM versions. I've already been stranded once due to those things.

So I'm getting ready to have the Bilsteins installed and I wanted to ask what precautions I should pass along to the shop. It's a reputable shop and they have done numerous leveling kits on F150's, but just want to make sure to jog their memory.

So, I've read that they should disconnect the battery. Anything else they need to be aware of now to screw up the IWE?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Jonathan
All I can think of is disconnecting the battery too. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Jabulani Jonny (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The only issue I had with mine was I did NOT have factory struts. Crazy I bought my truck at 21k miles. The fronts were replaced already. The reason I tell you this is the 5100's require you use the spring cup or whatever its called off the old strut. No big deal if its a ford OEM strut, you jut take that part off and put it back on the 5100's. The aftermarket kyb's mine had they aren't removable. My shop had some factory struts brought in and got the part he needed from that.

Other than that no big deal.

You are going to love the way it transforms your truck. It is like night and day difference. Even just the rears made a huge difference, I did those myself. Truck is just right now. No more active jitteryness. Rides like it should and is not harsh. Took my family of 5 with young kids 3k miles this summer in comfort.

Now get you a helwig rear sway bar and you will be perfectly happy Huge huge difference here again. Really these trucks need a rear sway bar from the factory, why they don't is beyond me.
The following 2 users liked this post by wolfy53:
flamehead16 (02-17-2017), Jabulani Jonny (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Better OUT then IN

@Wolfey... What does a rear sway bar do? How does it change the characteristics of the ride?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it ride with the 5100's in?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Better OUT then IN

I had 5100's on all 4 corners of my 2011FX2 and it completely changed the ride. Firm yet not hard. Handled bumpy roads way better then OEM.

I would have put them on my 2014 FX4 but I went with a 4" lift this time around..And...They weren't available until recently.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

My buddy did the Bilsteins on his. Here's a couple of observations:

1) On his, he set them to a higher setting initially, and his front end sat higher than the rear. So he dialed it down to the #2 position I think he said, and it was still just a touch unlevel. So he ended up using rear blocks to make the truck finally sit level. His truck is a 2011 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 by the way.

2) His truck with the Bilsteins and LT-E tires rides like a log wagon compared to mine. I'm not sure I'd be happy driving his truck daily. Mine is harsh enough. His rides like a 3/4 ton truck now.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by justjimmy
@Wolfey... What does a rear sway bar do? How does it change the characteristics of the ride?
Sway bar dramatically reduces body roll and enhances overall stability. I don't drive aggressively. But I like for my vehicles to be very controlled. Basically now when I take any turns, again not fast, but probably very grandpa ish, Im in my mid 30's. The turns are sharp and precise. Hardly any body roll.

I don't feel like I am sliding around in my seat or leaning one way or the other. Truck just turns.

For the 5100's I have mine on the middle setting. It has just the right rake to it. Not much. I don't care for the exactly level or nose high look.

There is a huge thread on here about the rear sway bar. Guy did a great comparison before and after. Here it is!
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/produc...y-bars-233896/

Here is my truck factory tires are too small in my opinion. but I love the stance now.

The sway bar and the 5100's are a must! Its like driving a completely different truck. in a good way. Ride is firm but not harsh. The factory ride is far to mushy for me, My wife even commented on how the truck rides smoother with the new parts.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabulani Jonny
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Jonathan
I think the main things...disconnecting the battery and to be careful with the IWE's have already been covered. Good choice on going front and rears with the shocks so you can have a matched ride. I'm getting close to putting almost 30K miles on my 5100's front and rear and I love them. Front's set at the 2nd notch from the top so I gained almost 1.5 inches in the front. I'm running P rated Toyo's so the ride is close to stock but the truck being firmed up at all 4 corners handles better. Can't wait to see some pics of your truck when it's finished!

Side view of my truck with the fronts at 1-1/2 inches.

Last edited by PawPaw; 02-10-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got them installed on Wednesday, along with the Falken AT3W Wildpeaks in 275/70/R18 and everything looks fantastic. Ride is great too. I do hear a little knocking coming from the left front that I'm going to have them check out. It wasn't there before I'm wondering if I'm just hearing the shock bottom out when I'm driving slowly and hit some bumps. All in all, looks and drives great.