Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rci skid plate and dealership changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Rci skid plate and dealership changing oil

My dealership has performed around 5 oil changes with this skid plate on. All have been clean and done with care. Well I picked it up today. Oil was everywhere. Even on the door. A big huge smear. It was towards the end of the day so I know he was in a hurry. NO excuse in my opinion. The guy even bent the small plate that is to be removed for draining outward. Yes.... from the inside out. How I have no idea. My question is, Ford techs and others with these skid plates. Is it really that hard to do? The other five guys had no problems at all. The dealership has always been perfect with their work in the past. How in the hell did he bend that eighth inch piece of steel outward?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:07 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

I hope your steel RCIs are 3/16" thick (according to RCI), which makes bending the access plate even more preposterous.

My first question is "was the "tech" really a tech, or a floor sweeper that the dealer is trying to give some experience to (bringing him up, as it were)? It's what a lot of dealers do these days to save money on paying a real tech. Whenever my truck going to have any work done, I always insist meeting the guy who's going to work on it. But then, the only time my truck sees a dealer is if it's for technical warranty work (I do 99% of the work on my truck). But you also said it was at the end of the day. A reason? Yeah. Excusable? NO!

I also have a Fumoto valve to drain the oil. Keeps all of the mess from ever happening.

I'm assuming they cleaned up your truck for you...(?) Make sure you talk to the service MANAGER about your experience.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:46 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Pics of the damage?
Old 04-06-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

I haven't had my dealer change the oil since I put on the skids, but I also did the fumoto valve to make things easier. Sounds like a rush job with a Noob. Service Manager should have inspected the work before it went out (or whomever was supervising the "tech").
Old 04-06-2018, 06:58 PM

I'm here now. They rushed big time. They skipped putting in the synthetic oil too after I requested twice before hand to MAKE SURE they used synthetic. The manager is making it right. They will be paying for the new powder coated aluminum skid plate I just purchased as well. I will take pics.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Its good that your situation is being properly corrected...

I also recommend installing Fumoto valve for ease of oil changes. As shown, mine has that with redundant plugged clear tubing over the drain nipple in combo with Fumoto optional valve locking device. Its probably obvious that mine hasn't leaked a drop...

Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Glad they are taking care of it!
Old 04-07-2018, 01:20 AM

Nice setup! I ordered the valve as well. I am sure the techs will appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Rci skid plate and dealership changing oil