Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle Fixit Center.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Rattle Fixit Center.

Our trucks rattle and have wind noise. Post your rattle and if you know, your solution to fixing the rattles in this thread to keep everybody sane.

Rattles tend to be fixed by sticky-backed felt. In fact, Ford sells an anti-rattle kit with different sizes of sticky-backed felt but sticky-backed felt can be found at good fabric centers—what they use it for I don't know, but it fixes rattles.

1) Front doors may have a rattle caused from the wiring harness bouncing around. The fix is either to zip-tie some pipe insolation or packing material to the harness and secure the harness.

2) Dash rattle near A-pillar. One cause is improperly installed vents that feed the door vents.

3) I have what sounds like a dash rattle that makes me think it is something rubbing on the windshield. It is not the wiper blades and my '05 had the very same rattle. I suspect that it is the windshield wiper beauty cover. When it warms up enough i plan to remove the cover, and test to see if the rattle goes away.

4) Seats may rattle like a washer has come lose. Moving the seat forward or back can shut it up. Lube seat rails with white lithium grease and watch for the overspray.

5) Seat may have a bang, bang noise. Solution: passenger didn't "park" the seatbelt clip and it is banging on the interior plastic of the B pillar.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

#4 is this like the seat clicks or pops when you stop or gass it? if so i fixed mine buy retighting all the bolts under the seat!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Don't spreadsheet this..

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the door rattle, and possibly the same wiper/windshield rattle that you mention. One that I have that only seems to happen when cold outside is the cover over the gauge cluster seems to rattle a bit over bumps. Definitely going to do the "anti rattle" routine this spring/summer.

Door rattle: like you said, will put some soft material around wire harness.
Windshield/Wiper Rattle: Will check out the wipers and possibly ice build up around wipers (I'm in a northern climate, and have had this problem before)
The gauge cover: I am not sure about this one. Might see how to disassemble dash around the problem area and create some sort of soft "gasket" to create a tighter fit.

Last edited by flanneljunkie; 02-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes I get a rattle over bumps coming from the rear of the cab (2010 screw with power sliding rear window). Im not sure if its the headliner or window. Very hard to pinpoint
Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had noticed a squeeking sound coming from the dash area in front of the steering whel. I tought that it was the shroud that goes over the guage cluster but I found out that it is the plasic piece which runs below that guage cluster and above the steering column. If you have a squeek like this simply put a couple of fingers on the piece and gently pull it forward. I'm eventually going to put a piece of velcro tape or foam in there. It does not do it all the time but simply following this procedure stops it. The squeek sounds like someone is rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together. I guess that this piece is rubbing on the cluster b/c if you even apply a little pressure to the cluster it stops.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
ECOBOOST01

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you all for your advice. I don't have any of these Problems yet, but sense I use my truck alot for hunting and towing it will sooner or later start to rattle or speek.
nice to know how to fix it when it starts. You guys are great!!

Last edited by Ecob01; 02-22-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone post instructions on how to take the door off? I believe a long time ago someone did but I can find it. Love the truck but hate the noise!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverRat5.0
Can anyone post instructions on how to take the door off? I believe a long time ago someone did but I can find it. Love the truck but hate the noise!
I just did like 20 minutes ago on another post. Search for "door handle seal falling out" thread. The last post is the instructions with pics
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are taking the whole door off the truck, can't help.

But if you want to remove the interior panel, another member posted this earlier in another thread, I copied and paste(d) it.

Again, not my work. Thanks to MBullock, senior member

Its really easy

2 6mm screws down on the bottom of the

Attachment 86476

Attachment 86477

door

Then, there a plug in the handle, a small flathead screwdriver will get that out. To reveal an 8 mm screw

Attachment 86478

Attachment 86479

Then this part is tricky, cuz you will need a hook tool or something to pull off the trim behind the door pull, to show another 8mm screw

Attachment 86480

Attachment 86481

Then pull striaght up on the whole panel, NOT OUT!!!

Attachment 86482

Once the panel is loose, look on the back, and push the tabs that hold the door pull. And yu can feed it through the door

Attachment 86483

Unplug all the wiring harness' and the panel is off. Here is one of the nuts that hold the handle on, and I believe behind one of the 2 black plugs in the door jamb is the other nut. I'm doing my mirrors right now, so I'm not taking the handle out. Lol

Attachment 86484[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Bottom Dollah; 02-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottom Dollah
If you are taking the whole door off the truck, can't help.

But if you want to remove the interior panel, another member posted this earlier in another thread, I copied and paste(d) it.

Again, not my work.

Its really easy

2 6mm screws down on the bottom of the

door

Then, there a plug in the handle, a small flathead screwdriver will get that out. To reveal an 8 mm screw

Then this part is tricky, cuz you will need a hook tool or something to pull off the trim behind the door pull, to show another 8mm screw

Then pull striaght up on the whole panel, NOT OUT!!!

Once the panel is loose, look on the back, and push the tabs that hold the door pull. And yu can feed it through the door

Unplug all the wiring harness' and the panel is off. Here is one of the nuts that hold the handle on, and I believe behind one of the 2 black plugs in the door jamb is the other nut. I'm doing my mirrors right now, so I'm not taking the handle out. Lol
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!!! Nice!!! That's my post!

Quick Reply: Rattle Fixit Center.