Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radio swap?

I was a little cheap with my truck when I bought it because I couldn't afford the FX4 like I wanted, i'm wondering can I replace the stock XLT radio and dash trim to one from the XLT, FX4 or anything with a touchscreen and NAV
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with after market swap. but yes swap out with the ford units.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Factory NAV isn't straight swap. Climate control runs through it and a few other features do too. You also have a different set of buttons on the dash as well when you swap it. It also has to be programmed to the truck as well. Lots of extra work involved.

Someone on here did it and I believe said 2500-3000 for the swap to be completed and function as stock. If you are dead set on having NAV, just get a good aftermarket unit for considerably less.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible. I have a 2010 XL which came with just a am/fm radio. I now have a Ford factory replacement am/fm 6disc mp3 w/ ipod/iphone hookup. This was a brand new unit from an '07. What my point is, I could have put a nav sys. in but did'nt want to. The wiring harness is standard and will accommodate the upgrade. The only problem I found was actually getting the unit itself. Seems Ford does'nt like to just sell a particular unit that did'nt come with the vehicle originally. They won't let you "trade in" for an upgrade. I went to an aftermarket audio shop and found the system I wanted. The dimensions of all the different Ford units are the same, so it fits the dash perfectly, without any mods at all. Looks like it belongs there, nice and clean. My advice is to call around to different audio shops to locate one. It's pretty easy to diy, butr if you want the extra bells and whistles, let the pros do it. I'd also call the Ford Parts Dept. and see what they say. Maybe they are willing to be more helpful than my dealer here in Californis. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For after market look here,http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/

If u want 2011 6 disc hu i have one out of my 2011 fx4. shoot me an email and we can work something out.

Quick Reply: Radio swap?