Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Lariat vs. Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Lariat vs. Platinum

I want a sterling gray truck with a nice interior including black leather seats, moonroof, NAV. The logical choice seems to be the Platinum but I don't care for the bright strip across the tailgate or the brushed aluminum grille. I like chrome and the Lariat with the 502A plus package, chrome package and 20" chrome wheels gets pretty close to the Platinum (with moonroof) for about $2,000 less. I would lose the rear heated seats, automatic side steps and auto start, but those don't do much for me.

Any opinions? Am I missing something? I haven't seen a chromed-out Lariat -- does it look good or too flashy for someone with a lot of gray hair?

I figure the resale value will be lower than the Platinum because a lot of people looking for all that stuff will want the Platinum badge.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Why not get a platinum and remove the rear appliqué and extra chrome you don't want? You could probably get a decent coin for the rear panel on eBay..that's what I would do if I was in the market for a high end truck. The platinum interior is to die for!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input HardcoreFXFour. I must be missing something -- what does the Platinum interior have that is missing in a highly-optioned Lariat (other than the mood lights and heated rear seats)?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Careener
Thanks for your input HardcoreFXFour. I must be missing something -- what does the Platinum interior have that is missing in a highly-optioned Lariat (other than the mood lights and heated rear seats)?
There is a sound deadening windshield, brushed aluminum accents, wood trimmed steering wheel, special softer leather, mood lighting.....it's just an amazing interior, one minute of sitting in it and you'll fall in love with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-...t_43218wt_1182

Check that for photos. Off hand I remember different leather, steering wheel, dash, rain sensing wipers (might be an option?), plus the stuff you mentioned.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

the Lariat has heated rear seats. and as far as I know remote start is standard on FX luxury package, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, Limited and Harley.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What I did was buy a silver platinum. The back piece blends right in. Ill take a pic when I get home.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I set out to purchase a loaded lariat, but after I saw the platinum interior I was sold. I didn't like the interior color choices or the wood trim in the 2011 lariat. The platinum was perfect, I have the grey interior.

I didn't care for the platinum tailgate badge at first, but I've grown to like it.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Careener
I want a sterling gray truck with a nice interior including black leather seats, moonroof, NAV. The logical choice seems to be the Platinum but I don't care for the bright strip across the tailgate or the brushed aluminum grille. I like chrome and the Lariat with the 502A plus package, chrome package and 20" chrome wheels gets pretty close to the Platinum (with moonroof) for about $2,000 less. I would lose the rear heated seats, automatic side steps and auto start, but those don't do much for me.

Any opinions? Am I missing something? I haven't seen a chromed-out Lariat -- does it look good or too flashy for someone with a lot of gray hair?

I figure the resale value will be lower than the Platinum because a lot of people looking for all that stuff will want the Platinum badge.
I got a chromed out Lariat instead of a Platinum (see description below). For older people and older dogs, the power folding steps are a good thing to bolt onto a lariat that come with the Platinum.

I also just drove a pimped out 2013 Dodge (their version of a King Ranch). Dodge cannot carry as much or tow as much but it does have a lovely ride (equal to my longer wheelbase F150 with RAS installed in the rear) and a really nice set up in the front two seats.

Their new 2013 navi is better than my 2011 navi in that it showed local street detail further zoomed out as well as lake names (lake names are huge in Minnesota where everywhere there is a lake).

The rear seat and shorter bed are on-going drawbacks for my use since at the end of the day, I need a truck to be a truck because I use my trucks as trucks but would rather bang around in an E-class so I get pimped out trucks.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFXFour
Why not get a platinum and remove the rear appliqué and extra chrome you don't want? You could probably get a decent coin for the rear panel on eBay..that's what I would do if I was in the market for a high end truck. The platinum interior is to die for!
You can't remove the rear appliqué. A member on here tried only to find it was somehow clipped in and removal would leave a bunch of holes IIRC. You can probably find that member's experiences with a search to get a better description.

OP, sounds like the Lariat would be the best for you, so get that. Doesn't matter what is a higher trim or what others think is best; it only matters what you like the most. I wouldn't trade my moderately equipped Lariat for any other truck because it's the exact truck I wanted. Doesn't mean Platinums aren't nice trucks, just not what I wanted.

Quick Reply: Question About Lariat vs. Platinum