Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 5* 87 & 89 Perf/Tow tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question about 5* 87 & 89 Perf/Tow tune

I recently picked up an SCT 3015 along with K&N COld air kit for my 2014 EB form a Neighbour of mine, it's unmarried and updated but I haven't yet uploaded a tune to my truck (trying the 87 tune tonight).

I've recently read good things about the 5* tunes on here but I'm not sure on which one to get. I'd like to stay at 87 Octane tow/performance tune mainly because my wife drives the truck 80% of the time and I know she won't be happy with constantly putting 91 also she'll most likely forget to use premium anyway causing problems......I don't need that.

My question is it worth it to get an 87 tow/perf. tune from 5* if SCT has one redily available? Is there a big differance between the 2?
Also has anyone compared the 5* 87 vs the 89 Tow/performance?

thanks in advance for any advice, once I get some input I'll order a tune or 2 from stage 3.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

For me, the biggest difference is the overall driveability changes the 5 Star tunes provides.
The canned 87 tune from SCT shifts too hard and firm, didn't provide much low end but was a noticeable improvement over stock. I saw about 17psi peak, and overall about 3-4psi on the canned tune above what the stock tune showed.
The 5 Star 87 P/T tune is what I'm running now after I ran the canned tune for about 2k miles. The 5 Star tune is by far better across the board. Shifts are closer to stock pressure, but are quicker still. It holds lower gears longer which is beneficial around town for me. The tune has incredible torque delivery and is showing a peak of about 19psi with about a 5psi increase across the board when compared to stock.

For the money, the 87 P/T is a great daily driver. I run 93 octane regardless of the tune as good peace of mind.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

I've run 87 p/t tune (warranty version) since new in my 2013.
I can't stomach running the stock tune anymore, just so..... Tame, weak.
I burn 87 octane empty, 91 octane gas towing heavy trailer in hot weather. 91 octane provides both stock and tuned with more power and crisp response towing in hot weather. Cold and winter no need for higher octane.
I default to the 87 p/t 5* for 99% of use. Not much more gained over it with the higher tune versions. 87p/t is safe and powerful.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I hooked up the SCT to my truck today to try one of the canned tunes and I get the dreaded "ECU UNSUPPORTED" display. I know it's up to date because I went through the update with SCT support on the phone Luckily for me I just ordered the 87 tow/perf from 3 stage motor, I'm hopping once I download the tune to my SCT 3015 I'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: Question about 5* 87 & 89 Perf/Tow tune