Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting my truck in the shop next Monday

Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM
HAK

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thumbs down Putting my truck in the shop next Monday

My transmission is driving me nuts!!!

It has the dreaded super delay when stomping on the gas. Very unsafe when trying to merge or overtake a slower car on the busy interstates. Actually it has gotten so bad that the truck WON'T downshift sometimes if cruising say 70mpg and then stomp it. I have to ease off the gas from the floor and then BAAMMMM! Big slam into a lower gear!!!! I think I read one time there was a TSB on this issue with some 09-10 trucks and maybe a reflash or something fixes it?? Service writer told me to disconnect my battery terminal and let the truck "relearn" my driving style. Obviously total BS but I did that to appease them and of course.....nothing fixed it.

Also have began to notice that in the mornings when the truck is cold and I back out of my driveway that there is a vibration when I put it in drive and give it a little gas. Only happens for a second...but it's there.

I also have the dreaded vibration when it gets into 2nd gear. Seems like pinion angle is off but we'll see.

I used to have the "thud" when coming to a stop or leaving a stop but they fixed that with greasing the yoke or something a couple of months back.

I also have a faint hesitation when the engine is under a load going up a hill or maintaining a steady 50%+ throttle. Thinking spark plugs or bad coils from what I've gathered on here. Gas mileage seems worse.

I'm still under the 50k powertrain so I hope all this is covered. I love my truck but at the same time it pisses me off. Much like women. Hope my wife doesn't read that haha.

Anyways I felt like venting my issues. I'll report back what they might find out next week. O the plus side I will have a rental and enjoy some nice gas savings lol.

Last edited by HAK; 10-09-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

best of luck
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Gas Guzzler

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

these trucks are not worth the cash man. too many issues
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by centraltexasford
these trucks are not worth the cash man. too many issues
You sir, are retarded. Out of 350k F-150's sold each year, how many people are on this forum complaining? THE SKY IS FALLING OH MY GOD!
The following 6 users liked this post by TheWhiteBeast:
BCMIF150 (10-18-2012), brucesears (10-17-2012), Centexguy (10-09-2012), getsynyster (10-16-2012), Rok (10-15-2012), Wanted33 (10-10-2012) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have what i would call turbo lag on my 5.4 let me know what becomes of this.
The following users liked this post:
Rok (10-15-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM
HAK

Originally Posted by sean453
I have what i would call turbo lag on my 5.4 let me know what becomes of this.
Lol. I've had turbo cars so if I had to describe mine as lag it would be similar to what a 76mm would be like on a 1.4 liter honda

I will let you know what comes of this. I know I will go to the limit (complete transmission swap) if I have to for them to fix it but I hope it won't come to that and everything can be worked out. I hate dealing with dealerships and warranty work but hopefully Long Lewis Ford-Lincoln in Hoover, AL has good reviews, solid wrench monkeys and will do me right. I've already had to use them for when my truck had the infamous 3rd brake light leak and ruined my headliner from water stains. But they took care of me thru FOMoCo so I am happy with them so far. But this is real warranty repair so we will find out I guess. I wished my FX2 was a 6 speed manual.

There is a closer Ford dealership to me (Ernest McCarty Ford in Alabaster, AL) that I worked at long ago as a teenager. They fired me because I bought a new '96 Chevy S10 step side (I only bought it because they wouldn't sell me the latest year Ranger and tried to make me get a leftover off the lot). Owners son tried to physically assault me in front of the customers in the shop and waiting area. So um yea they for sure wont get my business......ever lol. Sorry for the rant guys

Last edited by HAK; 10-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I have this same issue....the lag, not the vibration thing you mentioned though. I installed a Bullydog gt tuner and it fix it for the most part. It does bug the sh*t out of me when it happens though.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HAK
My transmission is driving me nuts!!!

It has the dreaded super delay when stomping on the gas. Very unsafe when trying to merge or overtake a slower car on the busy interstates. Actually it has gotten so bad that the truck WON'T downshift sometimes if cruising say 70mpg and then stomp it. I have to ease off the gas from the floor and then BAAMMMM! Big slam into a lower gear!!!! I think I read one time there was a TSB on this issue with some 09-10 trucks and maybe a reflash or something fixes it?? Service writer told me to disconnect my battery terminal and let the truck "relearn" my driving style. Obviously total BS but I did that to appease them and of course.....nothing fixed it.

Also have began to notice that in the mornings when the truck is cold and I back out of my driveway that there is a vibration when I put it in drive and give it a little gas. Only happens for a second...but it's there.

I also have the dreaded vibration when it gets into 2nd gear. Seems like pinion angle is off but we'll see.

I used to have the "thud" when coming to a stop or leaving a stop but they fixed that with greasing the yoke or something a couple of months back.

I also have a faint hesitation when the engine is under a load going up a hill or maintaining a steady 50%+ throttle. Thinking spark plugs or bad coils from what I've gathered on here. Gas mileage seems worse.

I'm still under the 50k powertrain so I hope all this is covered. I love my truck but at the same time it pisses me off. Much like women. Hope my wife doesn't read that haha.

Anyways I felt like venting my issues. I'll report back what they might find out next week. O the plus side I will have a rental and enjoy some nice gas savings lol.

I have had the same problem with my 11 5.0 Lariat- it seems that the transmission is trying to catch up to the motor. It almost seems like you are in neutral. It seems worse when you are on a grade or hill. I had my transmission reflased yesterday b/c of a rough shift from 1-2. I willl have to see if it did anything for this problem once the transmission relearns. These 6 speeds are finicky. As I told my service advisor- some days it shifts like a Caddy and some days it shifts like my 21 speed bicycle.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM
HAK

Update:

Dropped the truck off this morning. Of course like any time u take your vehicle in the truck decides to not act up all the way there. figures heh.

Around 3pm I got a call from the service writer. Thankfully they were able to duplicate my transmission acting up! He says transmission level was definitely low and they have found a leak around the bell housing. I have never noticed any fluids in my driveway or parking spot at work but thinking back I have noticed a sweet smell (not coolant) and have seen droplets of some fluid in my rear fender wells on a few occasions. I chalked it up to maybe tire shine for the droplets but now thinking it may of been tranny fluid after all. He said they will pull the tranny tomorrow to see what has failed or is causing the leaking issue. It is being covered under warranty.

After they fix the transmission issues then they will see what is causing the misfire feeling. He said the power train warranty only convers internal engineer and transmission parts so I might be having to pay out of pocket for them if its a bad coil. Not too happy about that so we will see how that goes. Truck has 47k miles.

Anyways I figured I'd give you guys an update as I get them. Hoping they get it all squared away. Miss my truck even though the 2012 focus I rented is not a bad little car. Too many buttons to figure out though hah

Last edited by HAK; 10-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

The lag when hitting the gas is not the transmission people! Its drive by wire! It has a lag from the electrical signal being sent from the throttle to throttle body. My old car which was a Toyota had this! Its very very very common. Most people dont notice this as they drive easy and dont mash the gas. But reflashes seem to fix the problem even on the toyota I had. Now you obviously have transmission issues too but the throttle lag is electrical. It it was a throttle cable you wouldnt see this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting my truck in the shop next Monday