Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Button Start Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Push Button Start Questions

I've been researching the push button start systems out there. All systems out there pretty much require a cut key in the ignition to bypass the steering wheel lock and an immobilizer bypass.

I've narrowed it down to to systems both with keyless entry using proximity sensors and push button start. I'm not concerned about the key in the ignition because the acc and other ignition wires get cut and bypassed by the new push start module so no one will be able to just start the car with the cut key without tearing out the console which at thy point they would anyway wether or not I have the cut key in there or not.

I also have a friend who has an audio/alarm shop so we were able to secure a good vendor deal on the more expensive system so they are pretty much apples to apples except the place we may order from is an actual brick and mortar store with live customer service as opposed to an Internet only vendor with no phone support.

Question I have is if anyone has any experience with these systems and what my warranty concerns should be. Would the warranty risk be the same as installing an aftermarket alarm/remote start. Only if system causes the problem is that portion of the warranty void.

What exact will I be voiding by installing the system, the ignition, the keyfob module etc.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks
Moe
Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer your question but this does sound pretty interesting. I would like to hear how it turns out when you are done with it. Also, maybe you mentioned this and I just didn't understand but, how does this system you mention keep the steering wheel from locking if you don't have the key in the ignition?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by racrbilly67
I can't answer your question but this does sound pretty interesting. I would like to hear how it turns out when you are done with it. Also, maybe you mentioned this and I just didn't understand but, how does this system you mention keep the steering wheel from locking if you don't have the key in the ignition?
You have to have a cut key in the ignition turned to on position. Since the ignition itself is bypassed all it does is release the steering wheel
Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way your warranty will void, is if they can DIRECTLY link the problem to you push to start system you put in.

For example, if you have a problem with your radio lets just say, it will all still be covered as long as it hasnt been tampered with.

But if you go in saying your ignition wont turn, they are most likely going to say you messed something up. Most Ford dealers will help you with anything. Dont stress to much over loss of warranty.
The following users liked this post:
mondog1 (09-06-2013)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2011 FX4 5.0
The only way your warranty will void, is if they can DIRECTLY link the problem to you push to start system you put in.

For example, if you have a problem with your radio lets just say, it will all still be covered as long as it hasnt been tampered with.

But if you go in saying your ignition wont turn, they are most likely going to say you messed something up. Most Ford dealers will help you with anything. Dont stress to much over loss of warranty.
Thanks but since I bought the ESP when I bought the truck I wanted to make sure it would void too many things. I figure I'm investing money to customize my truck I don't mind spending money to fix something related to the custom work. Just don't want to loose it all.

I had a Dodge dealer try to refuse to work on anything suspension related because I added coil-overs to the car.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I've never heard of someone losing warranty coverage on an item not directly affected by the item they put in. In most cases, the dealer will still warranty your truck on the broke item if you can put it back to stock. So if there is a way to put in your push start and then relatively easily switch back if something goes wrong, you'll be covered either way.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my bmw, i had saw a video where a guy converted the cigarette lighter to a push button. It was more about preventing anyone from stealing the car than just having a push button start. Basically unless you had seen him start the car before, you would never know how to start it.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fightingmajor
Basically unless you had seen him start the car before, you would never know how to start it.
So it was probably not a smart idea for him to post his video for the world to see?

Subscribing to this thread. Would be nice to have push-button start.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Just enjoy the truck! Why does Every single thing have to be modified! Im all for upgrading, but this^^^^ C'mon! If a key is still needed, whats the point?

Last edited by Toddman38; 04-24-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts

Maybe one of these from a VW
http://imageshack.us/f/40/img20120624170954.jpg/

Quick Reply: Push Button Start Questions