Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled over for Tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulled over for Tint

So a little background. Bought my 2012 XLT used 2 years ago at a Toyota dealership. The only thing I did to it was put a tint strip on the top of the windshield. The front windows are tinted, but nothing super dark or anything.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Driving on my way home from work and I get pulled over and a $127 citation for illegal window tint. The officer tested it and it was 18%. He said it needs to come off of the driver and passenger windows, all other windows are fine, doesn't matter what % they are at. I asked about my windshield tint strip. He said it is low but he said it's not a big deal and isn't a problem. My options are to plead guilty and pay the fine, or plead not guilty, pay the fine, remove the tint and prove that at a trial and I'd get my fine back.

So I call my local Ford dealership to see what came from the factory. They said all windows come at 35% tint. By PA laws (70% on driver and passenger) this would be illegal I believe. They tell me to contact the Toyota dealership where I bought it at and inform them they sold me the truck with illegal tint on it and didn't make it aware to me. The Ford dealership said it won't pass inspection and if it did the technician would lose his job. I got my truck inspected last year without any problems...

I call the Toyota dealership and they said if they thought it was illegal they would have removed it before selling it. But they said I could bring the truck to them and they would remove the tint.

Does anyone think this is worth fighting and showing that I bought the truck from the dealership like this and was not informed it was illegal? Or just simply remove the tint and plead not guilty and go to trial. What would you do?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:42 AM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

It does suck that youre not even the one who put the tint on but it is what it is. Me personally, I would simply pay the fine and move on. Taking time off from work to go fight it in court would only cost me more money.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id pay the fine and move on.. lol
Old 11-25-2014, 02:01 AM

I'm definitely tempted to just pay the fine and move on. But I do a ton of highway driving to and from the same place and my luck I'd get pulled over again for it. So i'm leaning towards removing it. Although it will be a hassle to go to trial over it
Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 AM

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Were you specifically pulled over for tint? Were you pulled over for something else and then he decided to ticket for the tint?

I know my tinting is illegal but I've never been bothered. If I get a ticket I'll pay it and keep the tint.

It's worth the tickets
Old 11-25-2014, 03:37 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman23
So a little background. Bought my 2012 XLT used 2 years ago at a Toyota dealership. The only thing I did to it was put a tint strip on the top of the windshield. The front windows are tinted, but nothing super dark or anything.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Driving on my way home from work and I get pulled over and a $127 citation for illegal window tint. The officer tested it and it was 18%. He said it needs to come off of the driver and passenger windows, all other windows are fine, doesn't matter what % they are at. I asked about my windshield tint strip. He said it is low but he said it's not a big deal and isn't a problem. My options are to plead guilty and pay the fine, or plead not guilty, pay the fine, remove the tint and prove that at a trial and I'd get my fine back.

So I call my local Ford dealership to see what came from the factory. They said all windows come at 35% tint. By PA laws (70% on driver and passenger) this would be illegal I believe. They tell me to contact the Toyota dealership where I bought it at and inform them they sold me the truck with illegal tint on it and didn't make it aware to me. The Ford dealership said it won't pass inspection and if it did the technician would lose his job. I got my truck inspected last year without any problems...

I call the Toyota dealership and they said if they thought it was illegal they would have removed it before selling it. But they said I could bring the truck to them and they would remove the tint.

Does anyone think this is worth fighting and showing that I bought the truck from the dealership like this and was not informed it was illegal? Or just simply remove the tint and plead not guilty and go to trial. What would you do?
I know it's not really relevant but I figured you should at least have the correct information in case this escalates any further. factory tint on the rear windows of Ford and Chrysler trucks, vans, and SUVs is 18%. I believe it's the same for GM and most Japanese vehicles as well but can't confirm because I've never owned one. I am friends with the owner of a window tint shop and I have seen this proven true time after time. however, there is obviously never factory tint on the front side windows or windshield. why cars come from the factory with tint darker than most states allow is still a grey area to me, but I guess I can't really complain because I have always had illegal tint and never been nothered for it.

when you say the dealer left it on because it "looked legal" that tells me that they probably don't know what they're talking about - 70% is so light you can hardly even tell it's there. I would take it to them if they're willing to take it off, but first ask if it's something they do themselves, or if they take it to a tint shop. the chemicals and tools used to remove tint can be harmful to vehicle interiors, especially in the hands of someone as careless as most flat-rate dealership detailers are.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Before everyone gets into a p****** match, vehicles that come with tint on the rear Windows from the factory do not have trunks and require that privacy. No passenger car will come with tint eg Honda Accord. Unless it doesn't have a trunk eg chevy Tahoe

70% tint is PA legal limit which is basically no tint at all. Even front Windows come near to 70% to help with UV rejection.

Anything allowing less then 70% light in is illegal in PA
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

SUV's and Pickups can legally have the 35% tint from the manufacturer on
all the windows except the front windows. That's why they have it.
Coley's reasoning is sound.

The front two windows however, are subject to state law.
Going to a Judge about this and complaining is only going to make it worse for yourself.

Originally Posted by Deadman23
No it isn't.

You bought a truck with illegal tint on the front windows.
You are ultimately responsible for it. Just like if you buy a rifle with
banned components, YOU are ultimately responsible for it to make it legal.

Just like being naive to any other laws, ultimately you are responsible.
They have heard the million and one excuses daily.

You could find a truck just like yours, without front tint, take a picture
and give it to the judge saying you weren't aware of the laws, and you remedied
the problem but 99.9% chance you're going to be paying the fine regardless.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 11-25-2014 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

One more thing deadman.....

If you have any kind of criminal or driving record, you should make sure your vehicle is 100% legal from all aspects. People with records are "Easy stick" targets for pullovers and tickets to law enforcement. They run your plate, and it pops up they could scrutinize you more then the next guy. That goes for anyone with a record.

BTW That's not implying you do.......but usually tinted window pullovers is from po'dunk areas with nothing better to do, or a bad neighborhood of goofballs.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 AM

I was specifically pulled over for tint. Nothing else. Officer came up to my window and said I'm pulling you over for illegal tint then proceeded to test my driver window.

I have no past record with anything. Currently no points on my license or anything. I just believe I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've passed PLENTY of cops before and never had a problem.

My plan after reading some replies and thinking about it is to get my tint removed from a local tint shop rather than dealing with it at the dealership. I'll still plead not guilty and take my chance with getting the fine back after taking the tint off.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for Tint