Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prolonging the life of my F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prolonging the life of my F150

Here is the run down. I bought my first new vehicle in 30 years in 2010. I bought a F150 Screw 5.4 and thought it should be my last purchase. I only have just short of 46K and it has served me well. Sunday the transmission gave me a delayed and clunky down shift around 40mph twice. I then hit the Internet and ended up here. I read for a few hours and am really discouraged by what I read about the 5.4 and the tranny. I have always been a Ford owner and now question this purchase.
As far as the engine goes, is there anything I should do as preventive maintenance other than the on time oil changes etc.?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Just traded in my 2010 crew cab 5.4L lariat... was also thinking the same thing as you - would drive that thing into the ground.

I park on a pretty serious incline (at least I think it is... 8degrees), and the cab corners rusted out. Completely through on the passenger side. Dealer gave me a price I couldn't refuse, so I took it.

Anyway, that's not what you asked. I had about 75k miles on mine, and the engine was starting to tick pretty well from what I assume was the cam phasers. I'd read that folks were running thicker oil to try to combat this - I'd consider that. 5w-30 or even some 10w-30. Not sure if it's true, but Ford recommends a thicker oil in other countries - maybe this is hogwash, but mixing in some thicker oil seemed to quiet down mine.

I had planned to changed the plugs earlier than 100k miles, even though they aren't supposed to be an issue with the newer design. Lots of folks swear by an oil analysis, might be worth looking into. I think it can give you some indication of premature wear on certain components.

I did have the bulkhead connector TSB done on the transmission, so the fluid got changed at about 30k miles. I insisted that they put a new filter in at the time. Only seemed to make sense. Given your shift weirdness, maybe a fluid change? I think the manual says the fluid is supposed to be lifetime though.

I was getting some rear-end chatter on my limited slip. I think 2010 is the last year they put the mechanical limited slip in there. Not sure if you have that, but might be worth considering doing the whole 4wd system (both pumpkins and the transfer case).

I don't know... my 2010 was a good truck, but reading the forums you could easily get the impression that they're all riddled with problems. I certainly had my fair share, that's for sure. Hopefully the 2015 I just got (used) will hold up well.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
11B40 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM

Great input and I appreciate it. I actually built a number of Ford V8s and a few AODs along with one C6, that's why this 70 year old is pissed. I found in another thread a link to the TSBs and found one titled "5.4L 3V and 6R80 Transmission--Delayed/harsh downshift above 40mph" and that fits my year and what I felt. The TSB has a reprogramming of the module. So is it only dealers that can do that, or any decent tranny shop? I never used the warranty so now I have to pay. Computers suck JMHO.
Thanks much,
OH, and I just changed the 7qts of Motorcraft 5-20W, but next change will be 15-40 Rotella.

Last edited by 11B40; 10-24-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 PM

Not sure if other shops will do it. I'd likely defer to a dealership to do the transmission reprogramming.

However, if you're out of warranty, I think a number of tuners will modify the transmission mapping and can do wonders for that old 6-speed.
11B40 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for 15-20 and have it relearn the shift points.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:51 AM

FLXLT's got a great point - the transmissions do go through an initial learning phase.
I'm not sure how long the learning phase lasts, but it's free to try.

Plus, there were a number of TSB's related to transmission programming for the 2010's, if I recall correctly. Looking through the list, I saw a number that were impacting my rig early on.

If you bring it in for a reprogramming, do you get all the updates, or does the dealership have the ability to pick and choose which ones to apply?
11B40 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fatmattyd
FLXLT's got a great point - the transmissions do go through an initial learning phase.
I'm not sure how long the learning phase lasts, but it's free to try.

Plus, there were a number of TSB's related to transmission programming for the 2010's, if I recall correctly. Looking through the list, I saw a number that were impacting my rig early on.

If you bring it in for a reprogramming, do you get all the updates, or does the dealership have the ability to pick and choose which ones to apply?
They will give you the latest update. Someone who uses (or has used) the IDS may be able to say if they can pick an update.

Don't forget basic maintenance items that could affect shifting like cleaning the MAF, throttle body, checking for misfires, vacuum leaks etc...
Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 AM

I did find the TSBs for my 6R80 late last night and one that applies to what it was doing. If it stops raining today I'll disconnect the battery, I'm also working on a connection within a Ford dealership before I start throwing money around.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 11B40
I did find the TSBs for my 6R80 late last night and one that applies to what it was doing. If it stops raining today I'll disconnect the battery, I'm also working on a connection within a Ford dealership before I start throwing money around.
If you plan on bringing it in anyway, do not disconnect the battery so you can demonstrate what it is doing to the dealer. If it's been more than a year since you had the TCM/PCM updated, chances are you're gonna pay the $109 for the update anyway. Might as well have them see if one of the TSB's apply as well.
11B40 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by FLXLT
If you plan on bringing it in anyway, do not disconnect the battery so you can demonstrate what it is doing to the dealer. If it's been more than a year since you had the TCM/PCM updated, chances are you're gonna pay the $109 for the update anyway. Might as well have them see if one of the TSB's apply as well.
I won't rush into anything right now, except reading. My buddy is checking with the local dealer as he has a connection there.