Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem: Unable to fill gas at "normal" speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem: Unable to fill gas at "normal" speed

Hello, I bought an used 2012 F150 XL 5.0 with the capless gas tank and since then I have an issue every single time that I want to refuel the truck; the fuel pump stalls about 3 seconds after I pull the trigger. The only way I can fill the tank is by pulling the trigger just a litte bit (almost nothing).
Old 12-13-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine does that. I reset the handle at half and get back in the truck and wait. If I want to stand outside, I can go full nozzle after a bit.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by SmokeRoss
Mine does that. I reset the handle at half and get back in the truck and wait. If I want to stand outside, I can go full nozzle after a bit.
I already tried that, and still the same.
I have also tried to temporarily fixing it by inserting the gas pump slowly to the tank or by getting it in/out multiple times to make it "breath".
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I imagine you've tried the following but offer just incase it slipped your mind.
-Try a different station: I've one station, local to me, that the back-pressure / pump disengage thingy is really light and tends to disengage the handle.
- Try inserting the nozel at different depths: If I put it all the way down my will shut off more than if I only insert it 1/2 way.

Nothing great or a miracle solution... just some experiences I've had. Hope it helps.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
I imagine you've tried the following but offer just incase it slipped your mind.
-Try a different station: I've one station, local to me, that the back-pressure / pump disengage thingy is really light and tends to disengage the handle.
- Try inserting the nozel at different depths: If I put it all the way down my will shut off more than if I only insert it 1/2 way.

Nothing great or a miracle solution... just some experiences I've had. Hope it helps.
thanks for the help but I already have tried that and still the same. I think the gas tank has something that is blocking it's "breathing" but I have already went under the truck bed and everything looks ok, no mud, no oil or anything to worry about.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

It is entire possible that your vent hose is clogged. Common problem. Often caused by a person overfilling the tank to the point where the gas goes into the vent canister and ruining the system.

Google and you'll see. Should be covered under the emissions warranty I believe.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 PM
2014 XLT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Fusion forum some are having the same problem. Seems to be caused by the tank automatic vent valve. Some have said that with the ignition on it is improved (that powers the vent valve open). Something to try but Ford should fix.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2013 did the same and then wouldn't let me fill it at all, dropped it off at the dealer and they claimed the autovent was clogged and asked if I off road the truck, which I had not so they replaced the autovent under my extended warranty.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:15 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

This is also a problem for GM trucks. The fuel vent solenoid fails. The solution is to change the solenoid and move the actual vent somewhere better.

Things that can ruin these are:
Locking gas caps [something to do with the key hole]
Topping up the tank.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 AM

Haven't had this problem with the F150, but the SHO developed this condition a while back.
Dealership advised that a spider had camped out in the vent tube. They evicted the spider and all is well.