Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Bestop Power Running Board Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Problem with Bestop Power Running Board Install

I got a set of Bestop power running boards for my birthday today and spent most of the day installing them. They seemed to go on fairly easy but I had trouble with a couple things:

1 - The driver side towards the front doesn't go all the way up. There is a noticeable difference between how it sits un-retracted in the front versus how high it sits in the rear (where the motor is). It doesn't seem to bind on anything, as I can physically lift that part to sit flush. But once I let go then it drops an inch or so and won't sit flush. It just seems like something isn't stiff enough to make that front part (where it's just the linkage) tuck in flush.

2 - I'm getting a warning that my rear right (passenger) door is open when it's really not. I'm assuming something is wrong with one of those four wires I wired into the harness behind the kick plate. Does anyone know which color controls the rear right door? The running boards do not operate open or close when this particular door is opened or shut.

3 - I messed up the plug that operates the doors (the one you use to install these running boards) to where the little arm that secures it in place doesn't hold it in tight anymore. I had to use electrical tape to make sure the plug stayed in snuggly. Does anyone know if I can replace that plug and how difficult that would be and where I would buy it?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Anyone?

I've looked up some more and I believe the right rear door wire was the yellow one of the four. Also, I think the module that houses these wires is the Body Control Module. Where can I purchase a new connector that goes into this BCM?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Flareside

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

This might be a good example of why the AMP guy suggested I buy the American made steps, and not the China made BeStop boards.

At any rate, it could be the tolerances in the pins and bearings causing the front of your board to droop. I would remove and re-install the side in question and make sure all bolts are tightened equally.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Call China and ask the manufactor of these boards what is up with the board not fully retracting !! The plug is your bad...and I don't see anything wrong with leaving it like you got it now...taped up real good...the aft door light is your bad too...need to go back in there and see what you did wrong with wires...one may be pinched..if you can't resolve your re-tract problem ..I would return the boards for a refund and go buy some AMP Research boards...you get what you pay for..good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Call China and ask the manufactor of these boards what is up with the board not fully retracting !! The plug is your bad...and I don't see anything wrong with leaving it like you got it now...taped up real good...the aft door light is your bad too...need to go back in there and see what you did wrong with wires...one may be pinched..if you can't resolve your re-tract problem ..I would return the boards for a refund and go buy some AMP Research boards...you get what you pay for..good luck
I fixed the rear door open problem. I just had the wire pinched.

I'm not sure there is a problem with the re-tract. I would just like to know if anyone else with these power running boards notices that the front's don't come up as high as the rear. It's not much, I'd say a 1/2 inch differece and I attribute it to there not being a motor in the front but rather just the control arm linkage. Anyone else notice this?

I understand the control module was my bad. My question is if anyone knows where I can get a replacement plug, so I don't have to ghetto rig it with electrical tape. I've already had to go back out and retape because it loosens. I've checked tasca parts and google but haven't found anything. Not even sure if I'm searching for the correct part.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an older post now, but I just saw it.

We have an 800 number you can call. It's at our headquarters in Broomfield, Colorado.
800-845-3567

The main guy for PowerBoard questions is Jimmy, and he's good. He's been here for years, and has worked in engineering and customer support.

Bestop has been around for 60 years now (59 actually, our 60th is next year).
We're most famous for Jeep products - almost all the tops you see on Jeeps are made by us, including the ones on the dealer lots.

We're part of Magna, a huge automotive conglomerate that makes things for lots of car manufacturers (we make the OE version of lots and lots of parts). So we're able to leverage that and manufacture products all over the world.

I don't know if you can get just the replacement plug. You might need to get the entire control module, but call and ask. I'm in marketing, so I'm better at spelling words right. Way worse at, you know, actually giving you help. But we really do have a team standing by.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bestop--don't do it

I have an 12 150 and I don't drive it that much. Love it but hated the running boards. I put a set on and they worked well for about a year. I contacted bestop and they were initially helpful, they sent me a new controller, because mine just ignited one day. So they had to build it because it is 2012 and of course they didn't make it any longer. Once I received the new controller they pretty much shut down even talking to me and I can't even find out if this is the right one. I can tell you it doesn't work but I haven't invested a lot of time in it yet because I assumed they would let me know. Initially I was impressed with it and I would have been okay just fixing it, I think the issue is where they have you mount it and the fact that the plug itself is not as protected from heavy rain or a carwash and this will be the end result, so if you have one I would load up the wire side of both the harness plug and the module plug with some clear rubberized caulk. So anyway I have these non power, power running board now and bestops customer service is less than effective. I didn't take pictures of the damage to the inside of my firewall but you can see there was some pretty good heat there.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bestop--don't do it

I have an 12 150 and I don't drive it that much. Love it but hated the running boards. I put a set on and they worked well for about a year. I contacted bestop and they were initially helpful, they sent me a new controller, because mine just ignited one day. So they had to build it because it is 2012 and of course they didn't make it any longer. Once I received the new controller they pretty much shut down even talking to me and I can't even find out if this is the right one. I can tell you it doesn't work but I haven't invested a lot of time in it yet because I assumed they would let me know. Initially I was impressed with it and I would have been okay just fixing it, I think the issue is where they have you mount it and the fact that the plug itself is not as protected from heavy rain or a carwash and this will be the end result, so if you have one I would load up the wire side of both the harness plug and the module plug with some clear rubberized caulk. So anyway I have these non power, power running board now and bestops customer service is less than effective. I didn't take pictures of the damage to the inside of my firewall but you can see there was some pretty good heat there.

Quick Reply: Problem with Bestop Power Running Board Install