Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping paint under new FX2 decals

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Prepping paint under new FX2 decals

I will be removing the stock FX2 decals and replacing them with new ones.

Is there anything I need to do to prep the paint? The instructions mentioned using Windex to position the decal. Should I remove the old and then use some polish on the area? Wax? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I don't want to ruin the paint underneath the decal.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

After you remove the old decal, clean the area 3 or 4 times with alcohol and wipe clean with a cotton or microfiber towel. I wouldn't recommend positioning the new decal with windex because of the ammonia in windex. I've put on several decals and I use a small spray bottle containing water and 2 or 3 drops of Dawn dish soap to position the new decal. Once the decal is in place, use a credit card to remove the water and air bubbles.
The following users liked this post:
026TB4U (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan M.
After you remove the old decal, clean the area 3 or 4 times with alcohol and wipe clean with a cotton or microfiber towel. I wouldn't recommend positioning the new decal with windex because of the ammonia in windex. I've put on several decals and I use a small spray bottle containing water and 2 or 3 drops of Dawn dish soap to position the new decal. Once the decal is in place, use a credit card to remove the water and air bubbles.
I agree with this. I use isopropyl ratio of 50% alcohol / water. I used my heat gun on low to remove the decal. However, there are Windex bottles that do not have ammonia in them from what I remember. However the Dawn dish soap is the better way to go when applying the decal.

I would also suggest putting a line of tape right around the original decal before you remove it. I actually did the top and right side of the orignal decal. No need to go all the way around. This will help so much in lining up the new one!!
026TB4U (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM

I have used soapy water in the past and thought that is the correct way to go also.

I was also planning on taping before removal.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were my truck, and I was doing so, these would be my steps:
1) Remove decal. Via fingers, heat gun (if even necessary), and 3M adhesive remover.
2) Polish area with a D/A polisher & polish of choice, to correct paint in that area.
3) Spray area with water/alcohol mix, to make sure paint is "naked" for new decal application.
4) Use a soapy water mixture to position apply new decal.
5) After new decal has cured and dried, apply fresh coat of protection to area (as any polishing and/or adhesive remover will have stripped all previous paint protection).

These are the steps we take in our detail shop (shorthand version), and we do this fairly frequently. The GOAL, should be to do this process, while keeping the paint swirl-free & without damaging, and keeping the protection strong. Basically make it look like nothing ever happened, lol.
026TB4U (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by InsanePaint
1) Remove decal. Via fingers, heat gun (if even necessary), and 3M adhesive remover.
2) Polish area with a D/A polisher & polish of choice, to correct paint in that area.
3) Spray area with water/alcohol mix, to make sure paint is "naked" for new decal application.
5) After new decal has cured and dried, apply fresh coat of protection to area (as any polishing and/or adhesive remover will have stripped all previous paint protection).

These are the steps we take in our detail shop (shorthand version), and we do this fairly frequently. The GOAL, should be to do this process, while keeping the paint swirl-free & without damaging, and keeping the protection strong. Basically make it look like nothing ever happened, lol.
Working as a painter at a Ford body shop, I remove and reinstall all the decals in the cars/trucks I paint.

I do this^ pretty much to the T. Only difference is, I have never used soapy water to apply the decal. I use the water/ alcohol mix.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 01-12-2014 at 12:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 21RRF150:
026TB4U (01-12-2014), InsanePaint (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by InsanePaint

I knew I needed polish, just wasn't sure when.

I'll follow these steps.

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM

One more question. Do you all use isopropyl alcohol?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I use a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

We use stuff from the O Reilly that is actually window tint application solution, works great.

Quick Reply: Prepping paint under new FX2 decals