Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerFold Tow Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:35 AM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default PowerFold Tow Mirrors

Hello everyone, hoping someone can help me solve my mirror dilemma. I have a 2012 Platinum Screw, loaded. I don't remember the dealer offering PowerFold TOW mirrors on the '12s, mine are power heated with blinker and puddle light. I love having them, there is so much visibility it is crazy!

However, they do make my truck 6" too wide for the garage door. So, I end up having to roll down the window every day and pull my side in. I'm starting to get tired of it haha.

First off, do they have PowerFold tow mirrors for our trucks? If so, can they be added without modding? I know they utilize a different switch, so I figured I would definitely have to change it out to get it to work. Will I have to change the pins out on the harness at all?

Thanks for any input and I'm sorry if this has already been answered.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Currently, I'm in the works of retrofitting my XLT with these mirrors. I already have the power fold working with the small mirrors, and the powerscope mirrors utilize the same switch for it. The power fold/telescope is a 13+ option, so you wouldn't have been offered it as it wasn't available.

4 things are need for the power fold mirrors

1. Mirrors with folding actuators (obviously. Tasca will be your best bet @700 a side. Yes, I'm crying a little at my credit card's gaping wound right now)
2. Power fold mirror switch
3. Power telescope switch + bezel if you want to get fancy
4. Knowledge of wiring to enable use if not already wired. My truck is a 13, so I'm *hoping* I don't need to run some wire for the telescoping option. You will most likely need to run one, and I'm unsure how to tackle that problem...
The following users liked this post:
KR Kodi (07-27-2014)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

You have a Platinum w/o power fold mirrors???

You don't have the '****' on top of the driver's door to adjust the mirrors? If you do, make sure the **** is centered so as not to adjust the mirrors, then 'bump' it toward you. Mirrors should fold. Repeat to unfold.

HTH!
rocket930 (03-06-2017)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Official Bass Slapper

If you read OP's problem again, he has a 12 platinum, so regular mirrors are folding. OP's truck has tow mirrors, and the power fold option isn't available until late '13 from what I've seen in the lots.
Toddman38 (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Power fold for Max Tow mirrors wasn't available until 2013 models.

I don't think I could stand having these Max Tow mirrors WITHOUT the power fold function. I use it constantly. I would end up switching to standard mirrors with body-matched skull caps if I didn't have the power folding feature.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:42 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

So the question is, does anyone know if the pins in the harness changed from 12 to 13? Meaning that if I got the new switch/joystick/bezel and the actual PowerFold max tow mirrors themselves, they would work without wiring mod?
Old 12-20-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by acdiecast
So the question is, does anyone know if the pins in the harness changed from 12 to 13? Meaning that if I got the new switch/joystick/bezel and the actual PowerFold max tow mirrors themselves, they would work without wiring mod?
So I assume yours are not power telescoping either?

At a minimum I would guess you would need the door panel with the telescoping button and hole, and new mirror adjust button with the fold feature.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

No, they are power adjust (aim), heated, with the puddle and blinker lights. But no power fold or power telescope, just manual. I think I could mod the door to accommodate the new switch, but will the harness on my truck support it without running new wires?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Most likely will have to run wires for power extend. You won't have the wire because your truck didn't even have the option available. However, the same wire is used for the power fold on the regular mirrors and tow mirrors. It will plug in tho, so less worry about that.

And for the wiring specifics, I'd assume 12v power in, and route wire to each mirror plug for extend

Just my 5 cents.

I will write up a more detailed walk-through of what to do when this cold goes away and I can actually dick around with my truck
Old 12-24-2013, 02:14 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeriko
Currently, I'm in the works of retrofitting my XLT with these mirrors. I already have the power fold working with the small mirrors, and the powerscope mirrors utilize the same switch for it. The power fold/telescope is a 13+ option, so you wouldn't have been offered it as it wasn't available. 4 things are need for the power fold mirrors 1. Mirrors with folding actuators (obviously. Tasca will be your best bet @700 a side. Yes, I'm crying a little at my credit card's gaping wound right now) 2. Power fold mirror switch 3. Power telescope switch + bezel if you want to get fancy 4. Knowledge of wiring to enable use if not already wired. My truck is a 13, so I'm *hoping* I don't need to run some wire for the telescoping option. You will most likely need to run one, and I'm unsure how to tackle that problem...
I think to get the power telescoping to work SOME wiring will be necessary. The buttons for the power fold and power telescoping are separate, each having their own plug/ pins on the backside. Unless...and I mean a big unless, ford threw the same wiring harness in all the 2013 doors panels and the plug for the power telescoping is behind the panel. I'm hoping that's the case. That means I'd just have to buy the bezel and telescoping button and carve a hole in my door panel to snap it all in place.

Fingers crossed!!!

Please let us know what you come up with. Pictures are also good

Quick Reply: PowerFold Tow Mirrors