Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Folding Mirror Question - One Not Folding

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power Folding Mirror Question - One Not Folding

I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost on Saturday. I'm not used to all of the technology yet coming from a 1997 F-250 7.3 diesel. Anyhow, only my driver's side mirror folds (under power) and I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem. I noticed the driver's side mirror has the power fold icon but the passenger side doesn't. Could it be that my passenger side mirror was replaced with one that doesn't power fold since it doesn't have the power fold icon? Or does only the driver's side have the icon?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

A lot could have gone wrong with the power fold mirror.

You can hear the motors when you use the power fold button, so I would recommend to first go outside the truck and listen to the passenger mirror while someone pushes the button to see if you can hear a motor trying to pull it in.

If you hear the motor but nothing is happening then I would suggest stripped or broken gears.

If there is no motor noise then I would recommend to take the mirror off and look at the wiring. This will also indicate if the mirror was replaced with a non-power unit as there wouldn't be the wiring or harness to connect to.

Start with that and report back.
The following users liked this post:
Naby (02-08-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gremlin85

You can hear the motors when you use the power fold button, so I would recommend to first go outside the truck and listen to the passenger mirror while someone pushes the button to see if you can hear a motor trying to pull it in.

If you hear the motor but nothing is happening then I would suggest stripped or broken gears.

If there is no motor noise then I would recommend to take the mirror off and look at the wiring. This will also indicate if the mirror was replaced with a non-power unit as there wouldn't be the wiring or harness to connect to.

Ok thanks. So is there no power fold icon on the passenger side mirror even if it is a power fold mirror?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Naby
Ok thanks. So is there no power fold icon on the passenger side mirror even if it is a power fold mirror?

you know what, I just went out to look at mine and it DOES have the power fold icon on the passenger mirror...

Looks like yours isn't powered....
Old 01-12-2017, 11:01 AM

you know what, I just went out to look at mine and it DOES have the power fold icon on the passenger mirror...

Looks like yours isn't powered....
Thanks for checking, I wondered. Have you heard of a truck intentionally coming from the factory with just one folding mirror? If not I guess mine was replaced at some point. The window sticker says "CHROME PWR FLD HTD SIGNAL MIR." Is that just they way they write it or does that just mean one mirror is like that?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Naby
Thanks for checking, I wondered. Have you heard of a truck intentionally coming from the factory with just one folding mirror? If not I guess mine was replaced at some point. The window sticker says "CHROME PWR FLD HTD SIGNAL MIR." Is that just they way they write it or does that just mean one mirror is like that?
I've never heard of a single power fold mirror before.

My window sticker lists it as "PWR FOLD/HEAT/SIG/MEM MIRR" under the "Functional" Equipment part. But mines an 2013 FX4.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 AM

I've never heard of a single power fold mirror before.

My window sticker lists it as "PWR FOLD/HEAT/SIG/MEM MIRR" under the "Functional" Equipment part. But mines an 2013 FX4.
Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

does your passenger mirror still adjust? If not then I'd remove that door panel and check the connector. You can also search this forum for the power mirror upgrade thread and check for power (to fold) at that same connector. I'd troubleshoot that area first, then the switch... If good power at all of those areas then your motor could have died.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

non-folding mirrors still have a wiring harness if they are heated, like my XLT. They would be missing the correct wires (pin #16 maybe?) to power the motor.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Thanks, I'll give those things a look.