Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential first time truck buyer...any advice?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential first time truck buyer...any advice?!

Hey all, I've been lurking on this site for some time now and getting tons of great info! I've been a BMW guy for years ( I know that doesn't sit well here) and I'm currently driving a 550i GT which so far has been the most fun car I've ever driven, but with baby number 3 on the way this fall, it just isn't big enough for three car sets and running strollers! Not to mention for the dogs, one Caesar, a 171 lb Great Dane! We just recently bought a new Honda Odyssey TE for the primary hauler which is great for what it is, but now I'm looking at getting a secondary truck/suv for everything else. I've been shopping and test driving Land Rovers recently and really like them, although Im still a little skeptical about the reliability and high cost of ownership.

So coming home from dinner last night we passed a fairly large dealer here, Beach Ford, and stopped and looked at the F 150. I have never owned a truck, or never even thought about it until yesterday, and man all I can say is WOW! I test drove a 2012 Platinum V6 Eco and it is amazing! I couldn't believe how much room was in the cabin, and how smooth and powerful it was! I also couldn't believe how "luxurious" it was, if you can say that about a truck. I liked it so much that I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow when it opens and may be driving it by the end of the week!

For someone that has never driven a truck until yesterday, and I'm crazy to think this could be the perfect truck for a growing young family even more so than a traditional SUV?

Sorry for such a long post and I look forward to any comments or advice you guys might have!

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Someone get some rope!

JK. Welcome to the forum! I'm an ex-BMW guy and the F150 is the most luxurious vehicle I've ever owned. I went from a M3 to a 4runner to my F150. I think a 4 door pick up is better than any suv if you're really using the space. The F150 Screw has more leg room in the rear than the front. You can fold the seats up and have a flat floor for hauling stuff as well as the bed. You won't be giving up gas mileage, in fact, you'll probably pick some up from the 550i (and also use regular unleaded).

Some options I would strongly recommend are the factory nav, backup camera, tailgate step and bed extender.

One thing to note, the Screw has 3 straps across the base of the rear window to tie down baby seats. I think it's a sign.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

We recently traded our 2009 Odyssey EX-L for an F-150 SuperCrew with EcoBoost engine. We loved the Honda, except it didn't have enough towing capacity for our needs. The Odyssey had 5,000 pounds tow rating after we added the HD tranny cooler and trailer brake controller. But we needed 8,000 or more tow rating. So I special-ordered the F-150 to get exactly what Ford offered that I wanted, with no compromises. And our budget wouldn't allow us to keep the Odyssey and also have the F-150.

The Platinum is wonderful, but it had one thing I didn't want - 20" tires with no option for Ford to change them to a more reasonable tire for a pickup used primarily for towing 5,600 to 7000-pound trailers. And the total cost was a bit more than my budget.

So I ordered a Lariat with the Lariat Plus pkg and the EcoBoost engine. I've been a sports-sedan wannabee since my 1964 Rover 2000 TC and Mercedes Benz 220SE over 40 years ago. The F-150 SuperCrew with EcoBoost engine is about as close as I've seen with the added capability of towing a 7,000 pound trailer.

I had to order my Lariat to get exactly what I wanted, and if I accepted the 20" tires I'd probably have to order a Platinum too, because most in-stock Platinums have the hole in the roof and I don't want that useless (to me) option.

If you drive it like a sports sedan, then don't expect anywhere near the 20+ MPG the EPA estimates. I get around 15 MPG with mine when not towing, so far. But it's a joy to drive. So I select something besides the MPG indicator on the dash, and enjoy driving the pickup.

We don't have kids to haul, so we put an elevated doggie seat on the "40" portion of the rear seat for the Pomeranian, so she can see out of the pickup when on the road. And we fold up the "60" portion of the rear seat cushion to give the Border Collie lots of room for long trips.

With one or both of the rear seats folded, there's plenty of room for your Great Dane. Or you could add a topper on the bed, open the back window in the pickup and open or remove front window on the topper, install a boot between the topper and the cab, then haul the huge dog in the bed. The AC or heater wouldn't work great to climate-control the bed, but it should be good enough to keep the dog happy.

Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails Potential first time truck buyer...any advice?!-20120106_img_0161.jpg  

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-22-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm really thinking the functionality of the F 150 would be perfect in our situation. I honestly don't know why I never thought of or considered a truck before except that I guess I never thought I'd have a use for one? I'm a bit surprised by your gas mileage numbers compared to what I've read about from many other users. Although coming from a GT I totally understand the huge variation in mileage depending on how you drive.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Field Stomper

Welcome and the best advice I can give you is explore your options. I grew up in Chevrolet home lol. It's actually a Chevy dominated town I live in but I will drive what I like and what meets my needs not what everyone else has. After driving the ford I knew it was the one for me and my needs/preferences. IMPO it's the best looking truck on the road. But then you also have different models and trims that in turn offer different packages so a lot of choices to make lol. I chose the FX4 but it may not be exactly what the next guy needs. So just drive different ones and see what you like best bro.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by VABchRNR
Hey all, I've been lurking on this site for some time now and getting tons of great info! I've been a BMW guy for years ( I know that doesn't sit well here) and I'm currently driving a 550i GT which so far has been the most fun car I've ever driven, but with baby number 3 on the way this fall, it just isn't big enough for three car sets and running strollers! Not to mention for the dogs, one Caesar, a 171 lb Great Dane! We just recently bought a new Honda Odyssey TE for the primary hauler which is great for what it is, but now I'm looking at getting a secondary truck/suv for everything else. I've been shopping and test driving Land Rovers recently and really like them, although Im still a little skeptical about the reliability and high cost of ownership.

So coming home from dinner last night we passed a fairly large dealer here, Beach Ford, and stopped and looked at the F 150. I have never owned a truck, or never even thought about it until yesterday, and man all I can say is WOW! I test drove a 2012 Platinum V6 Eco and it is amazing! I couldn't believe how much room was in the cabin, and how smooth and powerful it was! I also couldn't believe how "luxurious" it was, if you can say that about a truck. I liked it so much that I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow when it opens and may be driving it by the end of the week!

For someone that has never driven a truck until yesterday, and I'm crazy to think this could be the perfect truck for a growing young family even more so than a traditional SUV?

Sorry for such a long post and I look forward to any comments or advice you guys might have!

Thanks!

Many of us have other cars—although I'm a Merc guy. Anyway, yes, although F150s lack the total soft surfaces of my S-class, F150s can be had with all of the same LUX features except:
  • HID lights (which I hear are coming in 2013 so hold off your purchase until late fall).
  • Heated steering wheel (there ought to be a law requiring this feature).
  • Memory passenger and rear seats.
  • Beautiful people at the service counter.
  • Free massages and shoe shines at the service counter.
  • People crawling over themselves to help you at the serivce counter.
  • Free pick-up and drop offs if you don't want to visit the service counter.

If you want a similar LUX experience, spec out a Lariat trim or higher.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

I also have an odyssey as the other vehicle. The f150 is far larger in the first two rows. Three car seats fit side by side in rear no problem. What will you be using it for...that will help with options. If not much towing or hauling just get 3.55 rear axle and no hd packages. The Eco will net you great low end power and be closest to your Beemer. A roll up tonneau cover for 2-300 will keep you and your kids stuff dry. And if no hauling get the crew cab 5.5' bed. Easier to park for you and wife.

My kids always ask to ride in the truck. I avg 18 mixed. 20-22 on hwy. in van mixed is 20 and hwy is 23-25. Also your truck will hold it's value better than the Beemer or ody.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Oh and by the way the torque is as good or better than your Beemer. Keep the traction control on until you are used to it.... :-)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM

Great advice! It's mainly going to be used to haul kids and dogs and golf clubs but not much towing. We do have family that have boats, jet skis, etc. but that would only be a few times a year at most. I'd definitely be interested in some kind of rear cover but wasn't sure if a roll up or hard composite one would be better? Would it be better to wait 6 months for the '13s to come out? Are there any major changes on the way worth waiting for? What kind of discount should I expect off a truck priced at $54,300?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been a Chevy guy and I just bought a 2012 Lariat SCREW and I have to tell you I absolutely love it!!! The room, the wayit drives and just the overall finish is beautiful! Buy one you won't be disappointed!

Quick Reply: Potential first time truck buyer...any advice?!