Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping & squeaking leaf springs

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Popping & squeaking leaf springs

Ive read up one this and people said to use lithium ion spray grease? Well that kinda fixed the squeaking (for now), but the springs still 'pop' when the truck flexes (even the slightest bit) and they just make weird noises. Anyone else have this problem and if so did they find a way to fix it? It annoys they crap out of me! Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Did you (or your dealer) check the torque on the mounts and shock mounts? Shock mounts are 66ft lbs. the springs and ubolts and center bolts are "until tight"

Check the orientation of the leaf pack. Is one wandering? Maybe a failed/ sheared/ failing center bolt. Maybe a bad bushing in the spring mount. Check all of these for odd marks and breakage. Also shine a light through the pack looking for a piece of debris that is between the springs.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
Did you (or your dealer) check the torque on the mounts and shock mounts? Shock mounts are 66ft lbs. the springs and ubolts and center bolts are "until tight"

Check the orientation of the leaf pack. Is one wandering? Maybe a failed/ sheared/ failing center bolt. Maybe a bad bushing in the spring mount. Check all of these for odd marks and breakage. Also shine a light through the pack looking for a piece of debris that is between the springs.
No I havent checked the torque on the shocks, but I did loosen up the rear bolts on the shackles a little bit to see if it helped. The bolts on the front are super tight and I can't budge them! I don't know if that is part of the problem or not. All the leafs look ok and everything looks to be inline. The squeaking was coming from the front part of the leafs but I can't tell where the popping is.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the squeeking issue with my truck to... I seem to think it is the bushings in the rear shackle. My pads between the leafs are still good. I can push up and down from under the truck and here the noise.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 11FX4EBOOST
I have the squeeking issue with my truck to... I seem to think it is the bushings in the rear shackle. My pads between the leafs are still good. I can push up and down from under the truck and here the noise.
Try spraying them with some spray grease. That helped my squeaking part (for now, not sure if it will come back or not.)
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedf150
Ive read up one this and people said to use lithium ion spray grease? Well that kinda fixed the squeaking (for now), but the springs still 'pop' when the truck flexes (even the slightest bit) and they just make weird noises. Anyone else have this problem and if so did they find a way to fix it? It annoys they crap out of me! Thanks
I'm also getting a creaking sound that sounds like it is coming from the right front spring. I have a 2011 Ecoboost XLT 4x4 screw
Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Flatlander

I might be suspicious of a shock too- I have been reading more and more threads about failed/ crappy OEM shocks.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

This is gonna sound stupid, but check the tailgate! I had the same squeaking, and I started pushing on the side of bed rocking the truck, and found out it was the tailgate making the squeak... Did I feel really smart
Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by clubsfit
This is gonna sound stupid, but check the tailgate! I had the same squeaking, and I started pushing on the side of bed rocking the truck, and found out it was the tailgate making the squeak... Did I feel really smart
Damn, didn't even think of that- mine makes the same noise and it turned out that the mount that slides onto the drivers side pin was all busted up. Totally forgot that until you just mentioned it. Good call!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsfit
^THIS!!
I had the squeak as well. Drove me crazy as I kept spraying lube on the shackles. Stood on the bumper and rocked the truck and found the tailgate pins ( the ones up top that latch) were what was squeaking. Sprayed the pins and the latches and voila! No more squeak!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping & squeaking leaf springs