Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping from rear of truck when pulling into driveways

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Default Popping from rear of truck when pulling into driveways

2013 Screw, 6 1/2' bed. This gradually started months ago, and progressively got worse. The pattern was this: Whenever I was turning and going across a bump or grade change at very low speed, causing the rear suspension to lift on one side and the frame and body to twist, I heard a "pop" from the rear end. Most of the time it was when I pulled in or out of driveways. It gradually got to the point that even the smallest uneven spot in a parking lot would cause it, and eventually there were several "pops" each time. I read threads on here with similar symptoms, mainly caused by loose shocks, jacks, spring brackets, or dry rusty springs. I could not recreate the sound by bouncing on the bumper corners, rocking the truck by hand, etc. I crawled under the truck several times checking all the normal causes, but everything seemed fine.
Yesterday I used a T-50 Torx bit on a breaker bar and snugged each bed bolt about 1/4 turn. That solved the problem, and I get no more popping noises. I'm adding this here in case someone else has this issue.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting, each time mine did this. I'd stop and search for signs of something loose or something hitting something else (ya too many somethings). I never would have thought to check the bed bolts. Curious does your truck have a spray in liner where they removed the bed bolts? My truck did and my new truck does.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I had a similar issue. Turned out to be my hitch receiver/hook rattling around
Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes mine has Line-X. I forgot to mention that. I'm sure the bolts were not tightened to the original specs. Although they were tight, I just snugged them some more. It could be the layer of coating below the bolt head allows for too much play.

Quick Reply: Popping from rear of truck when pulling into driveways