Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Noise when shifting from Park to drive etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping Noise when shifting from Park to drive etc

Hello

Any of you have a popping noise when shifting your truck from park to drive? Sounds like a clicking or pop coming from the trans

Is this normal?

I heard it today as well when I was driving under M mode. Really slight pop or click.

2011 screw 5.0 3.73s 5,500 miles
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NvrEnough
Hello

Any of you have a popping noise when shifting your truck from park to drive? Sounds like a clicking or pop coming from the trans

Is this normal?

I heard it today as well when I was driving under M mode. Really slight pop or click.

2011 screw 5.0 3.73s 5,500 miles
A very slight click on engagement is not abnormal. However, if you're noticing the pop (maybe and loud thud or clunk??) when you're parked on a hill of any type, it could be the load/stress of the vehicle's weight placed on the tranny after you place it in "park" and release the brake without first engaging the emergency brake. If that's the case, pull into your parking place, bring the vehicle to a complete stop, engage the emergency brake "firmly" FIRST and lastly, place the vehicle in park. That puts the stress of the vehicle's weight onto the brakes instead of the transmission. You'll notice a MUCH easier shift into drive/reverse next time you shift out of park....
Old 04-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Whiplash306
A very slight click on engagement is not abnormal. However, if you're noticing the pop (maybe and loud thud or clunk??) when you're parked on a hill of any type, it could be the load/stress of the vehicle's weight placed on the tranny after you place it in "park" and release the brake without first engaging the emergency brake. If that's the case, pull into your parking place, bring the vehicle to a complete stop, engage the emergency brake "firmly" FIRST and lastly, place the vehicle in park. That puts the stress of the vehicle's weight onto the brakes instead of the transmission. You'll notice a MUCH easier shift into drive/reverse next time you shift out of park....
Thanks much,

I have had that sound when parking on a hill before. This is a little different. Its just a slight click and it will happen on any surface flat etc.

It may just be engaging but I have noticed the click getting a bit louder now coming out of Park. Seems to shift fine and everything but I thought I would ask.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
pacrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2011 sarted doing that too but i traded it in so i didnt deal with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM

No one else has this click/noise?

Only when shifting to reverse from park pretty much. Seems to be increasing.

Thanks all
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Yep I have it. It's a big bulky transmission. It's gonna make noise. Mine makes clunks all over the place. Is it worrying? Not really.

The big clunk on an angle sometimes startles me....all trucks do it.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine does it when shifting from drive to reverse and reverse to drive. Sounds like a dry u-joint that needs to be lubed, however our joints were conveniently made without grease zirks...

I thought there was a TSB regarding this issue but there are about 700 different individual threads asking the same damn question so sifting through them all has proved to be a real pain in the ***. Anyone familiar with the TSB I'm referring to?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

i've got it too.... i can't pinpoint it, nor can a mechanic at the dealership.

i guess, you'll know when what ever it is breaks... cause i'll be on here cussing an essay.lol
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM

I have this mysterious clicking noise while driving, when under load ( smooth acceleration) and again when slowing down. It almost sounds like the exhaust makes when cooling down. It sometimes sounds like it is coming front the rear end then other times sounds like it is coming from the front to middle point of the truck like the transmission. The dealership just did a new shift program tsb on the truck and in the 500 km the sound is happening more often.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:03 AM
SilverBullet

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MomoMeloco
I have this mysterious clicking noise while driving, when under load ( smooth acceleration) and again when slowing down. It almost sounds like the exhaust makes when cooling down. It sometimes sounds like it is coming front the rear end then other times sounds like it is coming from the front to middle point of the truck like the transmission. The dealership just did a new shift program tsb on the truck and in the 500 km the sound is happening more often.
thats a tsb, you need to take it in so they can lube your driveshaft

Quick Reply: Popping Noise when shifting from Park to drive etc