Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poor shifting 6 speed trans questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor shifting 6 speed trans questions.

Hello everyone,
Well I've had my 2010 f150 for a few months now, and as I drive it, the more I get aggravated with the 6 speed. It's great down the highways, but around town, and on hilly terrain it feels like I really gotta force the truck to get it moving, especially with a trailer. I talked to the dealer and they said its normal operation, bit there is a service bulletin to reprogram the trans module to help out the shifting issues. I had the reprogram done and it didn't help a thing. Anyone have any suggestions? Love the truck, but hate the trans!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I just use the tow haul mode around town & it solves that problem - my 10 screw xlt has the 3:31 gears which don't help - 3:55 would be better
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2012 started out like that brand new. After 2 reprograms and 5k miles it's gotten better, but still not perfect. The dealer told me the same damn thing and now the way I see it is that I have 5yrs 100k warranty so I shouldn't worry about it. And like I said the reprogram sorta fixed it cause it was a lot worse, now it doesn't really bother me.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM

I have been reading up on some info after I had sometime to do a google search. It seems that there is no real fix yet for the issue. It drives me nuts because when I leave my house I need to climb a hill, The truck has no guts up the hill unless I nail the gas, I tried gradually getting it to kick down with light pedal pressure, but it just bogs down and slows down. When I nail the gas The engine revs up to 3500 to 4000 rpm and wont upshift til I get to the top. Same with towing in tow/haul mode, I really have to beat the truck it seems to pull the simplest things like a garden tractor. Im sorry to say this because I love my f150, but my wifes little nitro performs better up the hill, and just as good if not better towing the garden tractor. Has anyone tried a aftermarket programmer to fix the issue???
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fonz3482
I have been reading up on some info after I had sometime to do a google search. It seems that there is no real fix yet for the issue. It drives me nuts because when I leave my house I need to climb a hill, The truck has no guts up the hill unless I nail the gas, I tried gradually getting it to kick down with light pedal pressure, but it just bogs down and slows down. When I nail the gas The engine revs up to 3500 to 4000 rpm and wont upshift til I get to the top. Same with towing in tow/haul mode, I really have to beat the truck it seems to pull the simplest things like a garden tractor. Im sorry to say this because I love my f150, but my wifes little nitro performs better up the hill, and just as good if not better towing the garden tractor. Has anyone tried a aftermarket programmer to fix the issue???
Ya a programmer can usually write a tune that will satisfy - but I am under warrantee and will wait for it to end b4 I install one. Surprised that your tow haul makes no difference. I pulled a 6000 lb. travel trailer up east coast last year in tow haul & the truck performed great & the trans temp did not even move. Check your rear gears to see if they are not 3:15s they are the worst for pulling .

poor shifting 6 speed trans questions.-image-2798566634.jpg
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 AM
FX2 SuperCrew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just recently traded off my 2010 Lariat 4x2... LOVED the truck for the first year & 14k miles, but then tranny/throttle response became extremely retarded. Throttle tip-in caused 3+ seconds of trans thinking what gear to be in before the engine would rev, even if you floored it. Off the line, response was fine, but any other time accelleration that commanded a downshift was annoying... way too timely and not predictable which gear it will choose. Seven trips to the dealer later, several KAM clearings and tranny relearns with pretty much no improvement, decided trade it in at 26k miles.

Wish you better luck than I had.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Blue Oval

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've gone to tow/haul mode in slow roll commuter traffic. I'd like to make it default mode.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Politically incorrect

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

fonz......I also have a 2010. I have 26,260 miles and the transmission is perfect. BUT, it wasn't always this way. Clear the codes again and drive that truck like you stole it. I mean hammer that sucker. I was guilty of the "soft" break in and as a result, mine would respond sluggishly and hunt, sometimes slamming into a lower gear.

Seems these transmissions learn much better with a firm break in period. I know mine and others here on this forum discovered the same thing.

Good luck and stick it out. 2010 is the best, trouble free F150 from 2008-2012, according to True Delta and Consumer Reports if memory serves correct.

I love mine.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks everyone for your help, I will ne stopping by the dealer tonight to see if the truck has the most current update in it. Then I will try the "drive it like I stole it" method and see how that goes. I also love my truck, but I am very picky with my things. It also doesn't help that I'm mechanically inclined and was a dodge, subaru, and Toyota tech for many years. So when the trans acts up, and won't put the power down until I 3/4 throttle the truck, and the motor is screaming, it tends to worry me. Oh well, lets see how the dealership visit goes!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If your in stop and go traffic what I do is put my truck in 2nd gear manual. Much much smother.

Quick Reply: poor shifting 6 speed trans questions.