Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug & Play Remote Start

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Plug & Play Remote Start

On www.fordaccessoriesstore.com you can get two different remote start systems for the 2011 F150 that say "plug and play" has anyone put one of these on? Truck is only leased so I dont want to put an aftermarket system in plus I don't think I would trust anyone around here working on this new of a truck. If anyone has installed one of these please let me know how easy/hard it was and how you like it thanks!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked a similar question earlier didn't really get a reply from anyone that had done it -
The best advice I can give is to order it from a dealer near you that allows online ordering (Like Tasca or Tousley) or else you'll wind up with the dealer trying to install the old silver/bronze/gold system that costs $300 more.
You're going to have to get some dealer involvement - the computer has to be reprogrammed to allow remote start and the two keys that come with the RPO kit.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM

I'm looking at the longer distance kit with just the one remote that lets you know when its started so no new keys
Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 AM

You still have to get the dealer to program the computer to enable the remote start from my understanding.

I'm actually thinking of getting the same kit - My F-150 isn't in yet, but the first thing I'm going to do to it is install that remote starter.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM

Great be the guinea pig and let me know how it goes take pictures
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Found the remote start for a good price $226 plus shipping but still havn't ordered it yet. Talked to the dealer I bought the truck from and they more or less looked at me like I was stupid when I asked about activiating the remote start after I plugged it in.. went to a different local dealer and he told me about $100 to "reflash" the computer for it but he was still surprised the new systems just plugged in. Does that seem a little high to just activate the remote start, I know its the dealer but still. Has anyone installed one of these yet?

http://www.lombardfordaccessories.co...roductTypeID=5
Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.lombardfordaccessories.co...roductTypeID=5

I had one installed at the dealer as a part of my deal. I paid close to $400 for parts and install. It is one remote and some kind of alarm as well but haven't read the book all the way yet. It works great from a good distance of 500' or more. I just haven't tried it at a further distance. When I get dropped off at the park-n-ride by my buddy, I start the truck when it is in site and works great, of course I wanted it for those cold days, and they are gone for us, but it will also work for those HOT days as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Dan

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

So does it adjust the temperature of your truck? or do you have to have it set to blow cold if its a hot day or hot if its cold out? or does it just blow whatevver the truck was set on?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM

It looks like it plugs in, the dealer has to activate the remote start menu in the instrument panel, and theres some type of antenna that goes somewhere - possibly the thing called the "roof wiring harness" that comes with the kit.

I have also learned that the RPO kit (the cheaper one) is the factory production remote start, and the Bi-Di 100 is an aftermarket kit. I'd get the RPO kit
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 PM

I dont like the RPO kit because it limits you to 300 feet (if that since the antenna is hidden under the dash) plus it does not tell you if the truck has started or not. Only nice part is it comes with two new keys with built in start button but then you have to get those programmed and cut as well. The Bi-Di 100 kit plugs in the exact same way, the remote tells you when its started, you do have to run an antenna to the window but that isnt hard to do and extends range to 1000 feet. Plus its only $45 more. I believe they are both Ford Factory systems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plug & Play Remote Start