Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up used eco - now questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Picked up used eco - now questions

Hi Guys & Gals
As the title says I have a 2011 F150 with the ecoboost 3.5 and I love it and would like to get some advice from some people that have a lot more knowledge than me. I have had Ford pickups since the late 60s ( I remember when an Explorer was an F100 )
I would like to get some advice from folks that know this critter. It has about 85K miles so I want to make it las me a long time so I will just make a list of a few questions and I really appreciate any and all advice you can give me! I am using premium gas with no ethinol when I can find it.

1. I am thinking of using Mobile 1 high mileage oil, thinking that might help the turbos?

2. It seems to be missing every now and then so I figure it is probably due for new plugs and I saw a video recommending also replacing the connection to the plug ( sorry can't remember what it was called )

3. Would you guys recommend any fuel additive like injector cleaner or octane booster?

4. I know its rated to tow 10K plus and I am thinking about getting a travel trailer, probably fifth wheel but probably in the 8K pound range, do you think it will handle that OK?

I'm sure I will have other questions later and I want to thank you in advance for any advice !
Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 AM
OG

Received 243 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo3eco
Hi Guys & Gals
As the title says I have a 2011 F150 with the ecoboost 3.5 and I love it and would like to get some advice from some people that have a lot more knowledge than me. I have had Ford pickups since the late 60s ( I remember when an Explorer was an F100 )
I would like to get some advice from folks that know this critter. It has about 85K miles so I want to make it las me a long time so I will just make a list of a few questions and I really appreciate any and all advice you can give me! I am using premium gas with no ethinol when I can find it.

1. I am thinking of using Mobile 1 high mileage oil, thinking that might help the turbos?

2. It seems to be missing every now and then so I figure it is probably due for new plugs and I saw a video recommending also replacing the connection to the plug ( sorry can't remember what it was called )

3. Would you guys recommend any fuel additive like injector cleaner or octane booster?

4. I know its rated to tow 10K plus and I am thinking about getting a travel trailer, probably fifth wheel but probably in the 8K pound range, do you think it will handle that OK?

I'm sure I will have other questions later and I want to thank you in advance for any advice !
I dont own an eco, but im gonna throw my 2 cents in on a few of these:

1) Everyone's got opinions on oil, however m1 high mileage seems like the wrong choice to me for a turbocharged, high(er) performance engine with low miles.

2) You're talking about the boot, yes you shoudl replace those as well. I believe for the ecos the recommended gap is around .28-.30, but you'll want to verify that. Also, don't use a coin style gapper for iridium plugs like these fords use, use a puller style or get pre-gapped.

3) Additives are almost always a no no in my book. No reason you should need them. DIT gets carbon buildup, but there's a few methods to fix/circumvent, I'd do some research into that.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I know its rated to tow 10K plus and I am thinking about getting a travel trailer, probably fifth wheel
Not all 3.5's are that capable. I spent a lot of time looking at used trucks over the last 2-3 months before buying a 2014 about 6 weeks ago. Properly equipped the 3.5 will do it. But every single used truck I looked at with the 3.5 had 3.31 gears in them and were rated for a lot less than the versions with 3.55 or 3.73 gears.

You may also need to have the max payload package in order to use a 5th wheel.

Double check the other specs 1st to make sure you don't buy a trailer too big. I'm thinking those with 3.31 gears are still rated for 9000 lbs. But an 8000 lb trailer doesn't leave much margin for error and adding gear to the trailer or truck.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Guys & Gals

1.) I would recommend a full synthetic oil, like Mobil 1. IMO, change it 5-7k miles, and use a Motorcraft filter.

2.) Change the plugs with Motorcraft SP-534, gapped to .030. Replace the coil boots as well.

3.) I would only use top tier fuel in the Ecoboost, and maybe Techron, once in a while.

4.) I would not tow a fifth wheel with a F150. You'll most likely run out of payload.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a higher mileage EB owner. Here are my thoughts:

1. Motorcraft Syn-blend is highly regarded, I'd stick to this oil for at least 150k miles.
2. I gap my plugs at 0.028, they last 50k and come out around 0.034
3. I use Casey's E-10 87 fuel, no issues to date
4. Towing really depends on how far, hills, how often, etc... If you are just towing to your summer spot, 30 miles each way, vs. towing over the mountains 10 times per summer...
Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I am going to do plugs at .028, 5-30 mobil one and mobil one filter. I checked the intercooler and it doesn't have the weep hole, so I will get that drilled tonight.
Going to try a few different things to tow, so we will see if it works. If not, I am not going to be happy.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I am going to do plugs at .028, 5-30 mobil one and mobil one filter. I checked the intercooler and it doesn't have the weep hole, so I will get that drilled tonight. Going to try a few different things to tow, so we will see if it works. If not, I am not going to be happy.
For the towing it's really going to deepened on the rear end gears what do u have in your truck?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I am going to do plugs at .028, 5-30 mobil one and mobil one filter. I checked the intercooler and it doesn't have the weep hole, so I will get that drilled tonight.
Going to try a few different things to tow, so we will see if it works. If not, I am not going to be happy.

Did you buy the F150 to tow a fifth wheel?? If so, you should have done a little more research. Towing 8k lbs it can do.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

My $.02

1) The EB engine is a little different than a normal engine. It's extremely hard on any oil with the shearing of a small engine doing large work. There is a spec in all motor oils known as NOACK, better known as ASTM D5800. The test heats the oil to 250C, which is 472F if my memory hasn't taken vacation, for one hour. The evaporation loss is measure in volume as a percentage. So the lower the number, the better the oil stands up to heat and the fewer particulates that are going thru the PVC system and back thru the intake. The intake system of all of the direct injected engines are having issues with deposits in the intake. So using an oil with less particulates is imperative with an EB engine. The best out there by far is Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 for your engine. You can also use Delco Dexos Blend 5w-30 as both are right at 6.0% loss. Mobil One for an example is above 10% lost due to evaporation. Many of the higher dollar synthetics are no better than M1 and some are on the max at 15% allowable. So if you want the best for that EB, consider the above 2 examples. If you can't get them or don't want them, research PQIA and look at the 5w-30 oils in their reports. Look for the best D5800 oil and that's the one with the lowest number.
2) Gap plugs to .030 stock or .028 tuned. New plug boots and use di-electric grease.
3) Techron is highly regarded by many sources as a good additive
4) Check the towing guide below. As an example, mine is a 2014 crew cab short box 4x4 with 3:55's and I'm rated to two 9600lbs. I have the tow package with trailer brake controller, but no HD Payload or Max tow. it's a #7200 "GVWR" package vehicle.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/..._F150nov18.pdf
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I use Ford Motorcraft Syn-blend in my 2015 Eco.
I have never had any issues. The only thing i have ever towed was a Boat. no Heavy trailers.
I know my son uses Mobile 1 in his older Corvette.
There is a lot of good information on this Forum. Someone most always has the correct information.
Good Luck with your Project and do some fun trips.

Quick Reply: Picked up used eco - now questions