Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Philips xtreme or silverstar ultra with fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Philips xtreme or silverstar ultra with fogs?

I have been looking to upgrade my headlight and was torn between silverstar ultras and Philips xtreme power. I am leaning more toward the xtreme power because I read they do not have a coating on them and therefore put out more light. I'm looking for some opinions on both of these bulbs or any other non HID bulbs. And I do not see fogs to match for either bulb. What fogs do you use with these headlight or should I not worry if the fogs match the headlights?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneguy
I have been looking to upgrade my headlight and was torn between silverstar ultras and Philips xtreme power. I am leaning more toward the xtreme power because I read they do not have a coating on them and therefore put out more light. I'm looking for some opinions on both of these bulbs or any other non HID bulbs. And I do not see fogs to match for either bulb. What fogs do you use with these headlight or should I not worry if the fogs match the headlights?
I settled on Silverstar Ultra for headlights and Silverstar 9145 (OEM is 9140) for fog light. I did a thread somewhere back comparing Silverstar Ultra to OEM with pictures. I don't believe I got a pic looking at the truck for a match between the fog and headlights, but they matched close enough to suit me. I don't know if the SU 9145's would match the Philips close enough or not. I haven't had any trouble with the 9145's melting plastic lenses even with temperatures well over 100º F this summer.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Legendsk

I settled on Silverstar Ultra for headlights and Silverstar 9145 (OEM is 9140) for fog light. I did a thread somewhere back comparing Silverstar Ultra to OEM with pictures. I don't believe I got a pic looking at the truck for a match between the fog and headlights, but they matched close enough to suit me. I don't know if the SU 9145's would match the Philips close enough or not. I haven't had any trouble with the 9145's melting plastic lenses even with temperatures well over 100º F this summer.
Thanks, I checked out your thread, now you have me thinking about the silverstars again. Thanks for the info on the 9145's.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
opinions are like *****...

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I put the Phillips xtreme in the heads and the ss ultra 9145 in the fogs. Been in almost a year with no problems. They are a little whiter than stock and a little brighter, nothing obnoxious like hid in stock housings though
Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM
JNelson

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You should look into the sylvannia ZXE bulbs. I've seen them in a few vehicles now and they are a lot brighter. I was going to put in ultras until I found out the zxe's were available. I'll be putting them in my truck in a few days. I have an 05 but they use the same h13 bulb.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Legendsk
I did exactly this as well. I have my whole windshield tinted (no I'm not a crack dealer, I just have bad eyes and a subsequent window tint prescription) so visibility at night wasn't the best with stock bulbs. with the slightly more powerful fogs I can actually tell slightly better light output in the immediate foreground and while the headlights do not look any brighter, the distance is a little better.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by lariat05.4
You should look into the sylvannia ZXE bulbs. I've seen them in a few vehicles now and they are a lot brighter. I was going to put in ultras until I found out the zxe's were available. I'll be putting them in my truck in a few days. I have an 05 but they use the same h13 bulb.
Let me know how you like the zxe's. I read that they are not really any brighter they are just a whiter light.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lariat05.4
Did you use the Sylvania ZXE's for your fog lights or headlights?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher

Did you use the Sylvania ZXE's for your fog lights or headlights?

Thanks
Just headlights, I didn't check for the fogs.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

They don't offer them for fogs.

Quick Reply: Philips xtreme or silverstar ultra with fogs?