Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perforated leather seat wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Perforated leather seat wear

Any of y'all also experiencing cracking and overall poor durability on the perforated leather seats? At 75k and knowing I am OCD about caring for them this seems premature. Mine have been meticulously cared for with the chemical guys line since new, and except for a 6 month window last year they get cared for monthly if not more some months since I am in and out constantly. I also make sure I am never sliding out of the seat, kind of a pet peeve.

Just curious if others have the perforated seats showing wear like mine. I am going to see about buying a replacement from ford but figure it's expensive and probably have to buy the whole cover. I doubt these cracks can be repaired.

Perforated leather seat wear-image-1286445637.jpg

Perforated leather seat wear-image-2678112206.jpg
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

I don't have any on mine, but I do know fords seats are notorious for premature wear of the leather. My 04 cobra seats started wearing on the side bolsters at about 2yrs and 15k miles. I didn't fall into it climb out of the car, I treated them with mothers products and conditioned them once a month or so, car stayed in the garage, and it wasn't driven that much, yet they still wore. The majority of 03/04 Cobras I have seen wear in the same spot. Doubtful that can be repaired myself, and not sure if you can get perforated aftermarket seat covers. That sucks.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The answer is right there on your legs. Blue jeans. They're like sandpaper to leather, especially when you throw in a little dust or beach sand. Why do you think most high end luxo cars with perforated leather tend to look newer for longer? Sure, the leather is better, but suits aren't as abrasive to the material either.

There's not a whole ton you can do, leather wears, that's just kinda what it does. I wouldn't go to Ford for replacement though. Do yourself a huge favor and go to an independent upholstery shop and talk to them. Not only can they replace just the worn panel, (or the whole seat bottom if you want) but you can also get a more durable and higher quality cut of leather.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi end Luxo look better longer? I wouldn't say that's true... My Jag seats were much worse sooner than my F150 seats,(47K on my F150 seats). I have the same seat cover as the OP and I have the same cracks in mine. I treat mine regularly with leather conditioner and that really has no effect. So long as it doesn't rip or split like my Jag seat did. Jag replaced the cover but it looked terrible in just 30K miles.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordtrucktexan
The answer is right there on your legs. Blue jeans. They're like sandpaper to leather, especially when you throw in a little dust or beach sand. Why do you think most high end luxo cars with perforated leather tend to look newer for longer? Sure, the leather is better, but suits aren't as abrasive to the material either...
Sounds like some truth here. The upholstery shop is a good option if they can match his color.
Other than that you can re-upholster them with an original or aftermarket seat cover. I like the clazzio seat covers, but they are made to go over cloth seats. Maybe check katzkins.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

The actual "leather" on OEM seats is INCREDIBLY thin. (Factory near me tans and splits the hides used in a lot of them.) They split that stuff thinner than you can believe!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Katzkin is a very nice seat but a bit pricy. This is my favorite but the cost for 2 rows is just over $2,100 and that's not including installation.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueGT
Hi end Luxo look better longer? I wouldn't say that's true... My Jag seats were much worse sooner than my F150 seats,(47K on my F150 seats). I have the same seat cover as the OP and I have the same cracks in mine. I treat mine regularly with leather conditioner and that really has no effect. So long as it doesn't rip or split like my Jag seat did. Jag replaced the cover but it looked terrible in just 30K miles.
Jag doesn't count.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

For 75k miles I think your seats look amazing still. Very little wear in my opinion.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Wonder if that is why they switched those to Alcantara in the later FX4s

Quick Reply: Perforated leather seat wear