Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side power mirror going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger side power mirror going crazy

The passenger side mirror is going crazy. For a while it would angle down when locking or unlocking the power doors. Now it's angling up when doing the same. I have to reset the angle each time. Ideas?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Have you tried moving the switch to shut it off. Mine only change after running them thru the hurricane wash in which case a tiny adjustment and both are ready until the next wash. Have you done any mods to the driver door ? I have to imagine there is a small motor in them that screws in an out a plastic rod. If it were stripped of some threads it would make sense it allows the mirror angle to change with some help.

A.
This for 2003, but pulling the fuse would be the same idea to shut off the power to them to see if they still changed with door locks.
There is 4 major components,
1) fuse
1) Mirror switch
2) Mirrors, each with two motors.
Pull the switch and disassembled with a screw driver - gently inserted and pried the switch apart.
Then use Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol to the metal surfaces to remove the corrosion buildup.
Alternatively you can purchase a new switch for about $18 at a parts store.
If you find little resistance of the mirror upward / downward movement it would prove to be internal damage of the motors attaching part. At this point plan a trip to the parts yard for a good used mirror.

B.
If you have done a Mod to the Door expect wire damage to be the culprit.

C. I see it is a 2013 ? Still in bumper to bumper warranty?

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-19-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Not the same problem but I notice that sometimes my passenger mirror will cycle up/down/left/right several times whenever I change the seat (and mirror) position from Memory 2 to Memory 1. It's very weird in that it only moves like a degree in each axis and repeats.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same issue, mirrors went nuts when I went to adjust them. Had to clear the memory multiple times before they worked right.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chains
Had the same issue, mirrors went nuts when I went to adjust them. Had to clear the memory multiple times before they worked right.
How did you clear them? (Or do you just mean you saved and overwrote your old settings with a new mirror position that was just slightly different?)
Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same issue. Passenger mirror goes nuts when i unlock the car. up/down/left/right, etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
How did you clear them? (Or do you just mean you saved and overwrote your old settings with a new mirror position that was just slightly different?)
Went by the owners manual, not sure exactly was a few months back but it worked on my issue.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2012 Screw Lariat did the same, passenger mirror would go up, down, left, right when I works lock or unlock it. I thought maybe being tuned, Livernois, might have affected it. Then it stopped. Been a year since it did it. It lasted maybe 1 month.

Quick Reply: Passenger side power mirror going crazy