Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting OEM/aftermarket Grille

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Painting OEM/aftermarket Grille

Hey Guys-

I've seen quite a few posts on the forums about people having issues with paint staying perfect on their grilles. I will be attempting to paint a newly purchased grille soon here. Please post your good or BAD experiences for some guidance.

My gameplan so far:
I know I will be stripping/sanding down the current surface, will spray some promoter on to help the paint adhere to the grille.

Any tips on protecting the grille from the paint chipping off?

All comments, suggestions welcome.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Ruff it up first with sand paper or steel wool

Originally Posted by dobbern
Hey Guys-

I've seen quite a few posts on the forums about people having issues with paint staying perfect on their grilles. I will be attempting to paint a newly purchased grille soon here. Please post your good or BAD experiences for some guidance.

My gameplan so far:
I know I will be stripping/sanding down the current surface, will spray some promoter on to help the paint adhere to the grille.

Just ruff the surface up with steel wool or sand paper real good , I also heated the grill up with a heat gun before I sprayed it with the first coat . I went with the spray on bed liner and so far it looks great ..... in the near future when I have time I'm going to make a custom grill , so if this one chips Im not really gonna worry about it too much .. unless theres a bad one and if there is ... I have a few sheets of vinyl that I coated with the bed liner to make patches if needed ... I tell you what that spray on bedliner on vinyl is the ticket ... works the same but its not permanent ..... I can't scrape it off with a knife its not coming off that vinyl .... The grill is about the same ... have'nt done the knife test ....
Old 03-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by dobbern
Hey Guys-

My gameplan so far:

What is the current surface? Chrome or existing paint or primer, or textured plastic?

What are you painting it with? Auto store paint? Plasti dip? Real auto paint paint?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mt 6 bar chrome grille . Hit with scuff pad really really good .. 2 coats of bulldog adhesion promoter seal it paint it and clear it . I don't know how to post pics but shoot me an email and I'll send you pics . sammyacura@hotmail.com
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

I had my chrome 6 bar surround painted tux black.

It has three decent size chips in the paint and it looks bad because the chrome shines through.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Sammusi --I just sent you an email. Pics would be great!

wrknhonks-- Do you have any images of how your grille turned out. Idk of the bedliner spray is the texture/look I'm going for or not. It def sounds like a much more durable option.

bullock-- It's a stock OEM platinum grille. It's a real slick surface and seems to be pretty thick layer. That is why I wanted to get the correct process first so I don't waste time & don't mess up the grille itself. I'm open for options on the paint. I just used paint to match for my retrofit headlights. A can matchin my paint code & can of clear was $65. Seems like it would take several cans/coats to cover. My neighbor has a paint gun I may price out that option as well. Your thoughts?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Mikeyz do u have any images how yours turned out ?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

If you can get a hold of the bulldog adhesion promoter another member mentioned, go with that. That is great stuff.

I would then go with epoxy primer. For chip resistance if you can get it. PPG has their DP primer. Might be hard to come by. I'd you have an auto body supply store near you they will have it if they deal PPG.

If not you can just seal it like normal, and paint and clear.

I usually activate the base coat, also adds chip resistance, and flex the clear coat for the same reason. But, I am a painter and have access to all that.
The following users liked this post:
dobbern (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 PM
F150 Forum

Received 350 Likes on 285 Posts

two toned my grill.. it holds up well if you use some adhesion promoter, good sealer, and good clear. Of course it has to be prepped correctly. I always use the roughest sandpaper grit recommend by the company that makes the sealer for the most adhesion.. however, just like anything else, it will scratch and chip
Mfrri7 (05-29-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by tko_818
two toned my grill.. it holds up well if you use some adhesion promoter, good sealer, and good clear. Of course it has to be prepped correctly. I always use the roughest sandpaper grit recommend by the company that makes the sealer for the most adhesion.. however, just like anything else, it will scratch and chip
Dude, WTF? Didn't know you did the tremor grille! Haha! Thought you had a different one?
dobbern (04-02-2014)

Quick Reply: Painting OEM/aftermarket Grille