Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Chrome Bumpers, Can It Be Done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Painting Chrome Bumpers, Can It Be Done?

I didn't find much on painting chrome bumpers, and wanted to get some feedback. I know there's a plastidip fad going on and that's great, but I want a color match- and I don't want to do the rustoleum route. Powder coating is close, but...those damn sparkles in the Tuxedo Black! I want a color match! So...can you sucessfully paint a chrome bumper? Assuming you blast the chrome off etc...will primar still stick?? Anyone got any pics?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nix150
I didn't find much on painting chrome bumpers, and wanted to get some feedback. I know there's a plastidip fad going on and that's great, but I want a color match- and I don't want to do the rustoleum route. Powder coating is close, but...those damn sparkles in the Tuxedo Black! I want a color match! So...can you sucessfully paint a chrome bumper? Assuming you blast the chrome off etc...will primar still stick?? Anyone got any pics?
As long as you sand blast the chrome off and take it down to the bare metal you should be alright. Properly prep the bare metal, etching, primer, ect.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
King Ranchin' Member

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Could you plastidip the bumper then paint the plastidip??? Serious question...

Quick Reply: Painting Chrome Bumpers, Can It Be Done?