Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside air temperature takes up to ten minutes to correct

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Outside air temperature takes up to ten minutes to correct

Sorry everyone, did some searching and haven't seen a similar thread. I noticed this last winter but has only really bugged me now that its getting above 90 degrees consistently. On the main center console screen (MyTouch) the temperature will remain whatever was last registered for up to ten minutes. This is really only an issue because it appears to be tied into the auto climate control system. For example, say it was 65 when driving into work, and 95 when leaving in the afternoon. The AC will run with a low fan until the outside temp goes up 8 degrees to 73 it will kick up a little. Then it will move to 85 and go higher fan. When it finally realizes its 95 outside it kicks up to full max AC like it should have when the truck started. The dealer states no codes so no issue. Any ideas/anyone seen this before? I'm willing to buy a new sensor myself and attempt to install it if that is what is needed.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Mine did that, so I took off the sensor and cleaned the contacts. I was ready to buy a new one, but it hasn't done it lately.

The sensor is the little black probe with a point on, clipped to the front of the radiator, at about waist level on the left side (as you look at the truck with hood up)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

My truck does the same thing, but I don't have the A/C issue. If I set it to 70 degrees, it's going to make it 70 degrees in there regardless of what the outside temp is. The small "grille" on your dash next to and below the steering wheel is the internal temp sensor. The A/C system is completely dependent on that sensor when you are using the Auto function.

I really don't know how much the system is using that external temp since it really doesn't matter what the outside temp is. All it needs to know is what the inside temp is and what temp you want it to be inside. I'm sure the external factors in a bit, but I haven't noticed it to be an issue on either of my previous two trucks which also were slow to update the external temp.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the responses I will check out the radiator sensor. TJPlatinumEB I agree with what you're saying, and the sensor is accurate for the internal temperature. But there must be some sort of logic in the auto temp controls where if its say only 75 degrees outside it doesn't run the fan or AC temp as fast/low as it would if its 95 degrees out. Its a strange deal, definitely a first world type problem but one I'd like to fix before the warranty goes out.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Oh I completely agree. I do know that the external temp sensor is used to decide if/when to turn on the seat heaters or seat a/c coolers. I don't know what the temp cutoffs are, but it does use that to decide when to turn them on automatically during remote start, etc.

I agree that if it is 75 out and you set it to 70 auto, then no it probably won't be on too high of a fan speed. But, the inside will be probably 85-90 at that point, so it shouldn't need much to get there. Again I think that would be using more of the inside temp than outside. Just my thoughts and opinion though

Quick Reply: Outside air temperature takes up to ten minutes to correct