Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One wheel spin control

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default One wheel spin control

Well I'm going to be buying my first brand new truck ( first ford truck to ) in July and figuring im only 17 I can only afford the STX's with my paycheck leaving room for emergencies and mods etc. The thing I noticed though is the rear diff ratio is a 3.55 open ratio with the other options being pretty rare in my area. And I was about to say to to the f150 because of an open diff until I heard about the One wheel spin control that simulates a Limited slip diff.

Questions

1- Does it preform like its suppose to

2- Do both tires lock up under peel out circumstances lets say

3- Does it reduce power to the tires like a traditional traction system making it useless

_ Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Future Raptor Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I was told the same thing when I bought my truck I think because they wanted to sell what they had on the lot. All they had was a couple 3.31 opens, several 3.55 opens and a couple 'outta my price range' Platinums with 3.73 electronic lockers. I didn't know at the time that you could order exactly what you want and still lock in the rebate, so I settled for one with a 3.55 open. Oh well, hindsight you know. I did get a wicked good price, though.

Anyway, I can get both tires to smoke when I stop while going up a hill, turn off the traction control and nail it. Don't know why, it just does. With traction on, tires only briefly bark then it catches the engine. With traction on going around corners hard on the gas, it's not pretty. The inside tire always does a funky outtaround tire squall like the TC is trying to catch it. If you haven't bought one yet, make them find you a limited slip or better yet, order one. You'll be much happier! It's waaaaay cheaper to get it now than to have one installed later.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Regular Cab STX 5.0 with the open 3.31 and while it is better than nothing, it isn't like having the limited slip or electronic locker. In limited traction situations using part throttle it performs okay, but if your are giving it full throttle it doesn't do much since it relies on braking the spinning wheel and the motor will over power the brakes.
I guess it does what it was intended to do, but if you are looking for it to perform in extreme situations (offroading, drag racing, etc) it doesn't do well.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NickBottoms
Well I'm going to be buying my first brand new truck ( first ford truck to ) in July and figuring im only 17 I can only afford the STX's with my paycheck leaving room for emergencies and mods etc. The thing I noticed though is the rear diff ratio is a 3.55 open ratio with the other options being pretty rare in my area. And I was about to say to to the f150 because of an open diff until I heard about the One wheel spin control that simulates a Limited slip diff.

Questions

1- Does it preform like its suppose to

2- Do both tires lock up under peel out circumstances lets say

3- Does it reduce power to the tires like a traditional traction system making it useless

_ Thanks
Go to YouTube, search dcfluid, watch the two videos.
That's me and my open (locker) diff demo of the one wheel spin control.
It works very well.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 254 Likes on 106 Posts

It's always better to have 2 wheels spinning than one....IMO anyways. But we've all been young and had to drive what we can afford, at 17 a new F150 of any kind is doing pretty good. You can always buy a limited slip carrier for your truck later or a Tru-Trac if you need a locking rear that much.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

you realize that an XL model is a few grand less than an STX. is there something in particular that an STX model gets you that isnt available on an XL? I'd look into an XL to save some $$$ that way you can get it with the locking rear. you will most likely have to special order the truck exactly how you want it.

I want a rcsb 5.0 with the power package and cloth seats, which are both fairly east to find in an XL but I absolutely want the locking rear. I ahve searched and searched and searched to no avail.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=MPETE;1721272]you realize that an XL model is a few grand less than an STX. is there something in particular that an STX model gets you that isnt available on an XL? I'd look into an XL to save some $$$ that way you can get it with the locking rear. you will most likely have to special order the truck exactly how you want it.

I mostly just like the stx decor pack and the few extra things it comes with thanks for the recommendation though I will look into it a little more
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fasttimez
It's always better to have 2 wheels spinning than one....IMO anyways. But we've all been young and had to drive what we can afford, at 17 a new F150 of any kind is doing pretty good. You can always buy a limited slip carrier for your truck later or a Tru-Trac if you need a locking rear that much.
Yeah, haha I wish I could get a raptor but thats a little out of my range mabye a few years or so down the road... And I wont offroad till its older because its going to be my baby considering ive been busting my *** for pushing 4 years working full time while going to school saving for it but my theory behind it is I live in Minnesota and I dont want to end up being stuck in 6 inches of snow ... I will be getting 4x4 but still not to confident about one wheel wonder-ing it
Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dcfluid
Go to YouTube, search dcfluid, watch the two videos.
That's me and my open (locker) diff demo of the one wheel spin control.
It works very well.
Sweet thanks for that video thats helping my grasp the non mechanical part of it alot more.. The one wheel spin control comes on the STX's to right? you said something about it not being FX4 specific but just being sure

- Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

So one wheel spin control is when you have an open diff and turn off the traction control? I don't see the point. If you want spin control, keep traction control on. If you want to be able to spin your rear tire, keep traction control off.

Is one wheel spin control mechanical or electronic?

Is it traction control without cutting engine power?

Quick Reply: One wheel spin control