Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OLM Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Default OLM Accuracy?

I have attached a picture of the Oil Life Monitor. Though the truck had it's oil changed @ 3K then every 5K I wanted to see how far the OLM would let the truck go.

Since we know Ford uses an algorithm to calculate the oil life based on driving habits, conditions, pulling, etc. I though I would test it.

Sure enough it's not just a dummy monitor that goes by time or miles. As you can see from the picture it fluctuates based on my driving conditions (which are not listed).

So the breakdown was at 3K oil change (OLM set to 100%), at 8K Oil Change at 13K Oil change, but I didn't change the OLM until the third Oil change to see how far it would have let me go if I hadn't changed the Oil. At first the results looked pretty consistent, but when the driving habits changed the OLM extended the results. By the last

Note that the OLM doesn't give fractions which could change the mileage estimates, but I was just interested in what the results would be.

Granted I am using Mobile 1 FS 5W30, but the OLM doesn't know what type of oil you use and doesn't adjust because of oil type.
So according to the OLM Ford would have let me drive 9,571 miles with 3% life left. The OLM was saying change oil soon, but the change oil required message never came up.
Now at 12,749 miles I reset the OLM and will again change the oil at 5K or 17,749 and will see how far the OLM will take me this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottom line: The OLM is more than just a mileage or time gauge. It looks like Ford put a lot of work into it. Myself I still like the 5K oil change, but I may be able to crank that up, to 7,500 we'll see..
Attached Thumbnails OLM Accuracy?-olm.jpg  

Last edited by h2ouup2; 03-06-2013 at 03:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by h2ouup2:
boosted150 (03-06-2013), Nytewind (03-08-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to chart this, it looks like you put a lot of time/effort into it.

I'd like to see an oil analysis of a 5.0 oil at 5k vs and ecoboost oil at 5k. I change my EB oil at 3k, and yes I may be wasting my money, but at 3k my oil looks like absolute garbage, and smells burnt. I'm assuming thats from lubricating both hot turbos.
The following users liked this post:
h2ouup2 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM

What type of oil were you using? I wonder if that makes a difference in the EB.

I too changed my oil at 3K then 5K there after. I just can't go the extended interval just yet. Still reading may post I think 7,500 wouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I purchased my 2013 F150, the dealership said the OLM in my 2013 does not monitor based on time and goes on mileage only?

I had a 2009 F150 and I could swear the OLM monitored based on time or mileage, but I can't remember.

The dealership made a big deal to tell me this because they said they have had people who went by the OLM only and have had their warranties voided because they got their oil changes outside of the specified time requirements.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Here is what the manual says. Ford wants you to use the OLM system. I would like to know the details of the denied warranties, and what failed. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just I've never heard of a warranty being denied because someone was a week late changing their oil.
Attached Thumbnails OLM Accuracy?-oil1.jpg   OLM Accuracy?-oil2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I use Mobil 1 full synth with a Napa Gold or the spec'd Ford filter. I do a huge amount of hwy driving so I change at 10,000kms (~6,000 mi) and my OLM is consistantly around 40% when I do the change. I'm really curious to send an oil sample in for analysis but I'm just too lazy, haha.

Anyone wanna bite the bullet and send a sample in for testing?? I wonder what the oil is like if you were to really let it run down to the "change oil soon" intervals.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I run Amsoil and run 10k to 12k miles between changes. OLM is always telling me to change it. I have a 2012 screw 4X4 with 36k miles on it. Bought March 24 of last year.

D
Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by h2ouup2
Here is what the manual says. Ford wants you to use the OLM system. I would like to know the details of the denied warranties, and what failed. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just I've never heard of a warranty being denied because someone was a week late changing their oil.
I'm sure they were puffing smoke at me to try to sell me more stuff like the prepaid maintenance stuff. They made multiple points to say that the OLM does not factor in time driven, only miles and that the F150s still had to have oil changes every 6? months no matter the miles driven.

I have not looked at the manual. What you posted clearly says you can do it at minimum once a year if you have an engine other than the 6.2l. I'm sure the dealer just doesn't want to lose oil change revenue.

Depending on the year/activity I drive under 12k per year and I usually just change my oil every 6 months no matter what the built in oil monitor says out of personal preference.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by astraelraen
I'm sure they were puffing smoke at me to try to sell me more stuff like the prepaid maintenance stuff. They made multiple points to say that the OLM does not factor in time driven, only miles and that the F150s still had to have oil changes every 6? months no matter the miles driven.

I have not looked at the manual. What you posted clearly says you can do it at minimum once a year if you have an engine other than the 6.2l. I'm sure the dealer just doesn't want to lose oil change revenue.

Depending on the year/activity I drive under 12k per year and I usually just change my oil every 6 months no matter what the built in oil monitor says out of personal preference.
My salesman specifically told me "don't let the financing guy jerk you around when you go to sign the papers. Follow the maintenance recommendations in your manual, follow your OLM and don't let him tell you you need to change it at 5,000 (kms). Oh, and by the way, your oil changes are free for the life of your vehicle at our dealership anyway, so tell him to get lost!" Hahaha
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 260 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by astraelraen

My 6.2 has the OLM???

Quick Reply: OLM Accuracy?