Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok WTH is it????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Glock fan...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok WTH is it????

6 months ago after finding the infamous EB leak at the bell housing, dealer added dye to the trans and "topped it off" 4 weeks later still there, paperwork says they replaced the rear main seal. Brought it in 3 weeks ago after finding it still. Mechanic brought it in , wiped it down and said it was residual and to keep an eye on it. Brought it in Tuesday because it reappeared. They called me today and said they don't think it's the transmission leaking and they have added dye to the engine and want me to drive it 1000 miles and bring it back in.

Thoughts???
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

well first things first, what color was the fluid?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Glock fan...

Translucent brownish.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Glock fan...

Forgot to mention, they were saying it was the trans since the first leak was found. Now they are saying adding dye to engine.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by MonarchPoolandLawn
Translucent brownish.
What the heck would be translucent brown??? Quick question- what is the weather like where you are?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Glock fan...

Central Florida. Warm to hot. It can go both ways I'm guessing. I have a little mechanical ability but I can tell you it was a lubricant.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Sounds like they are checking the drip with ultraviolet light and it does not have dye in it... so they don't think it is transmission related (since they added dye to that earlier). So now they will juice the engine oil and let you run it some more, and then check again using a light.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Trans fluid is bright red! Regardless of dye. Engine oil translucent brown. Or gold when brand new. Now if it was white oil then that is oil mixed with water.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

So, I did some searching, and I am not seeing anything about an infamous leak directly related to the EB at the bell housing. There WAS a TSB that covered a good deal of trucks across the board with various engine types dealing with a bad batch of pumps- is this the leak you speak of? If so, that fluid should be red, not brown. Unless you have a link you can provide that will give me better direction of course...

With that, you have pretty much narrowed it to oil, possibly coolant (that is getting dirty so it *looks* brown when you see it on the bell housing) or maybe brake fluid (haven't checked the color of mine) but I certainly don't think it's transmission. You're certain it's a lubricant?

Edit: is there any way you can snap a picture of where the leak is, and if possible the color on a white paper towel or something? Just so we have a little more to go on? It's best to let the dealer handle it, but what the heck- I'm bored and need something to occupy my time.

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 12-07-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MonarchPoolandLawn
6 months ago after finding the infamous EB leak at the bell housing, dealer added dye to the trans and "topped it off" 4 weeks later still there, paperwork says they replaced the rear main seal. Brought it in 3 weeks ago after finding it still. Mechanic brought it in , wiped it down and said it was residual and to keep an eye on it. Brought it in Tuesday because it reappeared. They called me today and said they don't think it's the transmission leaking and they have added dye to the engine and want me to drive it 1000 miles and bring it back in.

Thoughts???
Thoughts?

Yes, you have done nothing but whine and moan about your many problems, problems that others do not have. There is definitely something wrong with you, not the truck. Thx.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (12-07-2012)

Quick Reply: Ok WTH is it????