Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK so I didnt read every word of the owners manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Chrisj

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Default OK so I didnt read every word of the owners manual

So I had to figure it out the hard way. So if any of you are like me, well...here ya go

Last couple days the average mpg display was on 20.0 and never changed no matter the conditions or driving behavior. I knew this wasnt right but as it was the only tiny thing not acting as it should, I hardly was going in to the dealer for THAT!!!

So today (admittedly while driving.........well, it was on a long stretch of two lane highway with no side streets and very light traffic) I played with the buttons and learned this:

While the average mpg read out is displayed you use the "reset" button on the steering wheel by the info button to reset the mpg display. When you hit the reset button, it goes up to like 40 something mpg and then counts down to where it should be...........all working again just needed a reset. COMPUTERS!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
2013 King Ranch EB GemGrn

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisj
So I had to figure it out the hard way. So if any of you are like me, well...here ya go

Last couple days the average mpg display was on 20.0 and never changed no matter the conditions or driving behavior. I knew this wasnt right but as it was the only tiny thing not acting as it should, I hardly was going in to the dealer for THAT!!!

So today (admittedly while driving.........well, it was on a long stretch of two lane highway with no side streets and very light traffic) I played with the buttons and learned this:

While the average mpg read out is displayed you use the "reset" button on the steering wheel by the info button to reset the mpg display. When you hit the reset button, it goes up to like 40 something mpg and then counts down to where it should be...........all working again just needed a reset. COMPUTERS!!!
It should automatically update without a reset.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Chrisj

Originally Posted by Zixxer10r
It should automatically update without a reset.
Ya it did for a long time, then it got "stuck" seems fine now........go up a hill mpg goes down, down a hill mpg goes up...like before it got "stuck"
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to reset it every once in awhile, or it will keep a long running average that won't change often.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What is funny about this is dealers in small towns will drive on long stretches of highway and do a reset while driving to make it look like the gas mileage is super high when all they did was manipulate the math. They then take a picture of the gauge and post it on their sites. The funny part is people believe these numbers and then get upset when they find out the real posted mileage.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Chrisj

Originally Posted by 98_XC
You have to reset it every once in awhile, or it will keep a long running average that won't change often.
Cool, so what you are saying is after some time it reverts from a running average to a more static agerage and 20.0 was where the truck hit as far as a long term average.....thats really cool, Ill take it!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It works like resetting your trip mileage. It will calculate the MPG average from the last time you reset it. If you don't reset it for a long time it will take quite a while for the average to change. If you do a reset, it starts calculating the new average based on your MPG at reset.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Cool, so what you are saying is after some time it reverts from a running average to a more static agerage and 20.0 was where the truck hit as far as a long term average.....thats really cool, Ill take it!
Green bar that fluctuates rapidly is instantaneous mpg. Basically useless except to know if you are doing better or worse than your average at that instant. The horizontal white bar perpendicular to the wide green bar is your average mpg since the last time you hit reset in that screen. The number is the average as well. It is always going to be the average since the last time it was reset. If you have driven 5000 miles without resetting it it will take a long trip of really better or worse than average to drag down the running average.

Hitting the right arrow when on the screen with the big green bar gives a historical perspective of your driving in relationship to your average since reset. Depending on the settings, each green bar displays the average of the last 5 minutes or another number of your choice or the average of the last 5 resets. I think a reset is a trip. But unsure there.

Hitting reset by holding ok resets all these gauges. If you ever want to see your interstate mileage, reset with cruise set and drive for an hour or two and the number should be a pretty good indicator for that time frame. Any short time periods are not really reliable of what you can expect from a tank average since terrain can make it look really good for a short trip down hill.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Um...your average is just that...an average. The longer you drive, the more "stuck" it'll get. It's simple math....
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not exactly, the system always runs as an average. Once you reset it, you will see more changes to the MPG. Once the miles are added, it slowly will change (similar to the other comments above).

I know what you're thinking though, I've been in cars where the MPG are determined by how much you press the gas pedal! German cars are like this, they have their own guage that redlines when you accelerate hard and when you back off the pedal the MPG gauge goes normal again.

Quick Reply: OK so I didnt read every word of the owners manual