Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change and catch can

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 470 Likes on 269 Posts

Default Oil change and catch can

I installed a Full Race catch can about 2,000 miles ago. From all of the pictures and intsructions I have seen it it on there correctly. I am not VTA with it, but the hose to the turbo inlet is dry.

About 1,000 miles ago, I removed the can in order to install the Full Race valve kit to make draining it easier. When I did, I went to empty the can and got nothing at all. Today I changed my oil and drained the catch can and this is all I had.

There is not much at all, so either there isn't much blow-by at all on my truck or I did something wrong when I installed it. The more concerning part for me though is that when I went to refill the truck with oil I found this.

And then I noticed this.

Now, when the oil was draining I saw nothing this color. It looked like normal used oil. I sniffed my drain can with the old oil and didn't smell anything odd. I checked my radiator overflow and it looks like the orange coolant as normal. No milkshake looking anything. I have never seen this on my oil cap though. Would this be caused by the catch can? Is it normal?

Finally, as I let the truck run to check for leaks and oil level, I noticed this loud ticking. Maybe I just noticed it today because the cover is now off and I was standing in front of the truck instead of sitting in it, but it seemed really loud. I think it's just the injector ticking, but is this normal too?

Last edited by larryo108; 11-25-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

A lot of times you'll get that oil gunk on the cap if you do a lot of short drives where the truck doesn't get up to operating temp, especially in cold weather. Pretty much all my trucks have had it a little in winter .
Old 11-25-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not that catch can is working very well. I routinely get 8-10 oz of crap out of mine. I empty it about once every other month in the summer and about once a month when it's cold out. I have a RX Performance dual valve catch can, this shows what I have been pulling out of the engine.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:44 AM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Sirikenewtron; 11-26-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 11-26-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

There's a reason the full race catch can doesn't pull the liquid stuff other cans do, a lot of it has to do with condensation the other cans actually build up inside them from the cold air hitting the hot
can.Another reason is the full race catch can you delete the PCV all together with the supplied delete.
Doing a quick search on full race catch can will explain the reason in much more detail then I care to go into right now.
The following users liked this post:
joedotmac (11-28-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
There's a reason the full race catch can doesn't pull the liquid stuff other cans do, a lot of it has to do with condensation the other cans actually build up inside them from the cold air hitting the hot
can.
i didn't mean to imply that that particular catch can system doesn't work. I only meant that it appeared to me that that particular installation didn't seem to be working. Hope I didn't offend. But I do disagree with the statement about the condensation. I know people that have their catch cans mounted to the fire wall nowhere near the air flow and are pulling more condensate than what was shown. Not trying to argue, just a difference of opinion. 😎
Old 11-26-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Full race catch can

I have the same catch can and the same problem and I get a lot oil into my driver side turbo and coming out my blow off valve on my full race cac were i have had to clean it pulled the can off empty.I had upr before this and just wanted to use full race but now i thinking about going back to upr and getting rid of the full race I have cleaned the cac 2 times since I have had this catch can didn't have this problem with the upr.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 PM

I'm inclined to agree. These engines have a fair amount of blow by, I would think that the can should be catching it. If it's ending up in your cac that's not good. I've checked my cac a few times since installing my catch can and it's always clean. Also nothing getting to the turbos.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I here that with my upr can it was good but I sold it to a friend now I got to buy a new.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:12 PM

We'll that stinks. If he was a real friend he'd sell it back to you. Lol!