Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Remote Start / According to VIN

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Remote Start / According to VIN

Purchased a 2012 XLT 4x4 from a dealership in town about a year ago, and I had some doubts about the features the truck came with.

I looked up the VIN and according to the online tool it shows my vehicle came with OEM Remote start. I just never received the key with the starter button on it. I called the dealership and they confirmed that the truck did indeed originally come with remote start and that I could just swing by the dealership and purchase a key that they would then program to function with the remote start.

My question is, how can I visually confirm that the remote start is still there, I seriously doubt someone would remove the feature before trading it in to the dealership, but I want to make sure before I go through all the trouble. Is there a module of some sort mounted somewhere?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

In my 2013, the antenna in above the glovebox, behind the dash. Flip the glovebox down toward the floor all the way. Look just inside and up. Or feel. There should be a small rectangular box in place. Dimensions maybe 2" x 6".
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunsteve7
In my 2013, the antenna in above the glovebox, behind the dash. Flip the glovebox down toward the floor all the way. Look just inside and up. Or feel. There should be a small rectangular box in place. Dimensions maybe 2" x 6".
If it's that type of r/s, (Ford makes 3 or 4 different types) and hasn't been relocated to the roof for better range.

OP does your key look like this?

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-08-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Default OEM remote start

It looks just like that but without the 2x button on the key. Triple checked and the VIN and it for sure came factory with remote start, called the dealership and they confirmed that as well. I'm going to pull my glove box apart and look for the module.

So as long as it has this 2"x6"module I'm good to go? or is that the same module as the unlock button for the keyfob sometimes?

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
If it's that type of r/s, (Ford makes 3 or 4 different types) and hasn't been relocated to the roof for better range.

OP does your key look like this?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Look in ur menu screen to see if it's activated. The screen in ur gauage cluster.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by meatpants
It looks just like that but without the 2x button on the key. Triple checked and the VIN and it for sure came factory with remote start, called the dealership and they confirmed that as well. I'm going to pull my glove box apart and look for the module.

So as long as it has this 2"x6"module I'm good to go? or is that the same module as the unlock button for the keyfob sometimes?
You need the key with the 2x button as that is the remote start button, also you will find the antenna/module that we speak of, what it looks like, and a relocation write up for improving range, with pics of everything you will be looking for if the truck has the 100 series r/s on this link,... https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-1...ge-fix-313713/
Old 08-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Take it to your Dealer?
If you don't have it they can't make a key for it.
If you have it & don't want it, simply don't get a Key made & you can't use it anyway..
Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum T.C.
Take it to your Dealer?
If you don't have it they can't make a key for it.
If you have it & don't want it, simply don't get a Key made & you can't use it anyway..
Take it to the dealer because aftermarket isn't going to be able to help you with activating the system, if it's not already, nor can aftermarket assist you with the correct key/fob.

They can't just make you a key that will work with your remote start. They'll need to order the correct key/fob and cut it if needed. Depending on the version of remote start some are integrated into the key (2X) and some are an external rectangular fob that hangs on your key ring.

I didn't get the sense the OP didn't want the system (why would he care where it's located or even start this thread?). He simply wants to verify it's preexistence and get what's required to be able to use it.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RogueGT
I didn't get the sense the OP didn't want the system (why would he care where it's located or even start this thread?). He simply wants to verify it's preexistence and get what's required to be able to use it.
Yes exactly, I confirmed the module is there with the antenna plugged into it, mounted just above the glovebox.

Man those keys are expensive! I just looked online and called the dealer. Pricey, but probably worth it when winter hits.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should get one of the aftermarket keys off of Amazon. As long as you have two existing OEM keys that will start the truck, then you can program the chip along with the buttons yourself. I bought two of the aftermarket keys for $35 combined, got them cut at a locksmith for $10 combined, and programmed them myself.

Quick Reply: OEM Remote Start / According to VIN