Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing SYNC related works

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Nothing SYNC related works

No line-in, phone or aux works just radio/Sirius recently and CD. This happened all of a sudden about a week ago and I've tried uplugging my usb and restarting, leaving it out overnight but nothing has worked. The phone button on my radio is completely unresponsive as well as the steering wheel buttons for phone. When I switch it to AUX it blinks for a second and changes to AM/FM. This is what I can't stand the most and need to get fixed. Keep in mind this all worked flawlessly for almost 28k miles now. I need to hit up my dealer in the near future to see what they have to say, but does anyone know anything on here?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Master FORD tech

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

It sounds like your APIM(sync module) is jammed. Try disconnecting the trucks battery or apim fuse for 10 min, if that doesn't work try leaving the battery unplugged overnight. I have had good success with recovering sync functions using that procedure. If you still experience your sync issue you will need to check power and ground at the module located inside the dashboard just below the tray mounted on top of the dash, before going that route check the sync module fuse first.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hotcat:
Brycicles (02-13-2014), byte (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Happened twice on my 2009 and twice on my wife's 2011 Milan in 6 combined years. Pull the Sync fuse for a few seconds (with the ignition off) and it resets. Its a Microsoft product--I'm surprised they didn't put CTRL-ALT-DEL buttons on the dash.
The following 2 users liked this post by matt_m:
Brycicles (02-13-2014), byte (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hotcat
It sounds like your APIM(sync module) is jammed. Try disconnecting the trucks battery or apim fuse for 10 min, if that doesn't work try leaving the battery unplugged overnight. I have had good success with recovering sync functions using that procedure. If you still experience your sync issue you will need to check power and ground at the module located inside the dashboard just below the tray mounted on top of the dash, before going that route check the sync module fuse first.
Good idea I'll go unhook the ground right now.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by matt_m
Happened twice on my 2009 and twice on my wife's 2011 Milan in 6 combined years. Pull the Sync fuse for a few seconds (with the ignition off) and it resets. Its a Microsoft product--I'm surprised they didn't put CTRL-ALT-DEL buttons on the dash.
Thanks guys that worked, I really appreciate it. I had the idea of reseting it but I just didn't have the clue how to.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warrior. I have a 2009!and have the same problem brhe sync has disappeared. awhat is the apim fuse. Don't find that in the owners manual. Thanx for the help
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

No need to pull battery cables guys... Just pull the SYNC fuse in the kickpanel, then put it back.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

disconnect battery for 10-20 min .. before you connect battery touch both terminals together .. it will erase all hard condes and reset the whole system ...
reconnect and see if it solves it
Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had some issues with sync recently too. It acts like the only thing that will work is the radio, haven't tried the cd. Sync doesn't see my phone and visa verse. None of the usb functions are available from the menu button and the media button on the wheel doesn't respond. Once the functions came back after the truck was off a little while. The last couple times it seems like if I press and hold the phone button on the dash for 20-30 seconds I get my functions back and my phone connects. Might be coincidence. I haven't pulled any fuses or battery cables.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 68bucks
I have had some issues with sync recently too. It acts like the only thing that will work is the radio, haven't tried the cd. Sync doesn't see my phone and visa verse. None of the usb functions are available from the menu button and the media button on the wheel doesn't respond. Once the functions came back after the truck was off a little while. The last couple times it seems like if I press and hold the phone button on the dash for 20-30 seconds I get my functions back and my phone connects. Might be coincidence. I haven't pulled any fuses or battery cables.
Mine has been working perfectly since I disconnected the battery. I might suggest trying it or otherwise as ji603 said look for the SYNC fuse, but I have no idea which one it is.

Quick Reply: Nothing SYNC related works