Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it normal to want a new truck after a wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it normal to want a new truck after a wreck?

I was 3 miles from work Monday night when a 4 point buck decided to run in front of my 2011 FX4 supercrew which was going about 55! Really distorted the passenger side fender, cracked the grille to bits, bent the bumper, broke all the plastic inside of my headlight(will post pics soon). really not pissed but just really bummed. Had 2 fresh coats of collinite for the winter and I just refinanced it after deciding to keep it rather than get a 2013. Now I can't help from thinking it just won't be the same! Even if I decided on a new one my trade value takes a ding! Anyone else been through this and wants to share?
Attached Images  

Last edited by fuelkl; 11-07-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: picture
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

For me, it depended on the circumstances.
My first new truck a young lady riding a small motorcycle crossed the divider and hit me head on. I was traveling ~50MPH so you can imagine the outcome.
As soon as that truck was repaired it went away.
Next wreck was sliding through the snow and ice in Pennsylvania. Took out several trees in the median before finally stopping. My fault for driving too fast. This truck could have been totaled but I ask the insurance company to fix it. They did and I drove it for numerous years with no regrets. The repair was good and the truck looked and drove like new.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

My $.02..... You will take a hit regardless if you trade it in right after it gets fixed or later on. Just make sure it gets fixed at a reputable shop that uses OEM parts. Doesn't sound like your damage is too extensive, I'd have it fixed and keep it.

I guess the real question is what did you do with the deer? Sounds like you already pre-tenderized the meat....
The following 2 users liked this post by UFLBret:
BCMIF150 (11-06-2013), jmdavis333 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you feel. A little different situation but I had a 2011 GMC and I also hit a deer. I felt bummed and was thinking of getting rid of it. Hood was the only thing replaced. I took to the shop to have it repaired and i was put in a f150 as a rental. After driving the rental for a week convinced me to go with a new Ford.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

I say keep it. I hit a tree in my Titan and got over the initial want to trade it in pretty quick. Ended up being a smoother paint job on the front, and you really couldnt tell it was ever wrecked just by looking at it. That was with me having to have the frame fixed on the front. A fender bender like a deer wont cause any permanent damage, and a good bit of shops (at least here in TX) dont even report to carfax. Dealership body shops do, but I took the Titan to a large well known, but privately owned body shop. I even asked the Geico representative there about it and she said that Geico does not report to Carfax or anyone else. 3 years later when I traded in my truck, they had no way of knowing it was wrecked and gave me full value on my trade because they didnt know, and never asked. Also goes to show dont ever trust carfax. I bought a BMW once that had apparently gotten flood damage, but I didnt know until a year later...and it was never on Carfax.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I always keep my vehicles for a long time, so for me, it's fix it and move on.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

I do understand how you feel, been there. But, with the damage you explained a good body man can fix it, and you won't even know it was damaged. Not to worry, it will be fine.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Fix, drive on...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanted33
I do understand how you feel, been there. But, with the damage you explained a good body man can fix it, and you won't even know it was damaged. Not to worry, it will be fine.
This^ The damage you describe is not the type that "will never be the same again." So long as you take it to a good body shop. The hit you describe is one of the most common i see. Especially during deer season. It sucks but, it happens.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The feeling is TOTALLY normal. However if it's just your grill, hood and fenders it's not an issue. If it were your engine or some structural part of your truck then I would agree. Those pieces you mention are basically bolt on parts that are easily replaced and fixed.

Quick Reply: Is it normal to want a new truck after a wreck?