Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start When Temps Under 45 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No Start When Temps Under 45 Degrees

Well this is a strange one. I've seen a handful of similar complaints but haven't seen a solution yet.

I live in Atlanta and the temps are just now starting to cool off (with exception to a random week in October). Almost every morning that I've tried to start my truck, and the temp is around 45 degrees, my truck will not start. I can turn the key and all accessories come on with no problem. But when I turn the key to start, I get nothing. No click, no whirr, nothing. I have tried shifting it into neutral and starting from there. Nothing. I've shifted through the gears, bumped the gear shift when it was in park, etc. It will eventually start but there is no rhyme or reason why.

When it eventually DOES start, I won't have the problem for the rest of the day. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with temperature.

The other day I tried to start it for about 10 minutes and it would not start. So I had it towed to my mechanic. It was about 2 hours from the time I tried and when it got to my mechanic (temps warmed up quite a bit) and when I called my mechanic he said it started right up for him! They decided to keep it over night and try it in the morning. Well the next morning, they couldn't get it started. They towed it into the shop and kept trying to start it. Nothing. Then they hooked up the computer...and it started right up. They are at a loss and think it might be a computer problem so they suggested I go to the stealership. Our local Ford dealership sucks, so I'm not taking it in. I'm not going to pay them $200 to tell me what "might" be the problem.

What do you all think? Any advice?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 653 Posts

How old is the battery?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

Starter solenoid???
Old 11-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Pete

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Park neutral switch in the column. (guess that's what it's called) Could be bad.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:46 PM
dannyboy

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Blondie70
Park neutral switch in the column. (guess that's what it's called) Could be bad.
Neutral Safety Switch.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are your battery connections tight?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has the tendency to crank but not start in colder temps. Haven't figured that out yet.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM

Here's a little but of an update. I've discovered that when my truck was in park the "P" was not illuminated. When I went to turn it on, it did the same thing I described before. I then decided to turn the key and while holding it I moved the gear shifter all around. At one point the truck tried to turn over and then stopped. So I took the shifter, shifted it down to drive and then JAMMED it up into park. Viola! The "P" illuminated and guess what? It fired right up. So I turned it off, shifted it into park and then started it again.

So, @daniejw said that it might be the neutral safety switch. If it's in the steering column, I would say this is a pretty good bet. Has anyone swapped one of these out? Any tips?

This is the thread that describes the problem:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-f...icator-336860/
Old 11-24-2017, 10:04 AM

UPDATE:

Yes the battery is good and the cables are tight.

My mechanic (not a Ford dealership) said that he thought it was a computer issue possibly so I disconnected my negative battery terminal for 30 minutes it hopes it would reset the computer. Well, I'll be darned but I haven't had the issue since.

It got to the point where every time I would turn the truck off, the next time it would NOT start for several minutes so I began scrutinizing everything my truck was doing during the startup process. What I noticed is that when I would insert the key, nothing would happen on the PRNDL. Specifically the P would not illuminate. When I would turn the key one click over the PRNDL would flicker a bit. Sometimes the P would illuminate and sometimes it would not. When it did illuminate the truck would start when I cranked it. When it didn't illuminate it would not start. this was tru 100% of the time. So, without even trying to crank the motor I could tell if it was going to start or not based on the illumination of the P.

After I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and went to start it, I noticed something different immediately. As soon as I put the key into the ignition the "P" would illuminate. I no longer has to turn it one click to see what would happen.

I'm no mechanic or computer engineer, but this tells me there was some sort of glitch in the startup sequence that was causing my no start issue.

So, if you are having this same issue I would suggest disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and see if that helps before you fork our $1,200 to a stealership to fix this issue.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TexTheTruck
Here's a little but of an update. I've discovered that when my truck was in park the "P" was not illuminated. When I went to turn it on, it did the same thing I described before. I then decided to turn the key and while holding it I moved the gear shifter all around. At one point the truck tried to turn over and then stopped. So I took the shifter, shifted it down to drive and then JAMMED it up into park. Viola! The "P" illuminated and guess what? It fired right up.

This is the thread that describes the problem:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-f...icator-336860/
This is why I prefer a standard transmission, no longer offered by ford.